• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC: we need to check you're paying the National Minimum Wage correctly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC: we need to check you're paying the National Minimum Wage correctly

Has anyone else received the "we need to check you're paying the National Minimum Wage correctly" letter from HMRC?

If so, the bit that stands out to me is the final check-box: "Record Keeping".

What records are you keeping to fulfill this requirement should this initial letter be followed up with an investigation at a later date?

Thanks.

-- Clarification --

Will probably only affect those with spouses/partners who also do some work for the company.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

I haven't had the letter, but I assume it's related to this:
    Requirements to report dividends from close companies (by RTI?) from 2025/2026 - Contractor UK Bulletin Board

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
      It might be, but I think that it's unlikely.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

This page mentions the types of records https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...nual/nmwm12020

I think that what's needed is to be able to show that hours worked * NMW is not less that employee's gross pay.

Never been asked for records, but think that as a minimum - employment contract, timesheets, payslips.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
          This page mentions the types of records https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...nual/nmwm12020

I think that what's needed is to be able to show that hours worked * NMW is not less that employee's gross pay.

Never been asked for records, but think that as a minimum - employment contract, timesheets, payslips.
          Yeah, I've not insisted on timesheets, which, upon reflection, might not be for the best in the event of an inspection.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

as it's about minimum wage surely it's just a proforma sent to all companies?
            As a director of a close company you don't have to pay yourself minimum wage so seems an unlikely check for anything to do with PSCs... IMO
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              as it's about minimum wage surely it's just a proforma sent to all companies?
              As a director of a close company you don't have to pay yourself minimum wage so seems an unlikely check for anything to do with PSCs... IMO
              This is true, but some will employ their [ wife | husband | significant other ] to do various bits and bobs in support of the company's activities.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

This is true, but some will employ their [ wife | husband | significant other ] to do various bits and bobs in support of the company's activities.
                In my experience it's very common. And not just 'bits and bobs' but actual fee earning contract work direct with clients.

Also once used a nephew for some data quality work, specifying the start and end dates and number of hours to be worked. Very easy then to show that the gross PAYE exceeded NMW.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

In my experience it's very common. And not just 'bits and bobs' but actual fee earning contract work direct with clients.

Also once used a nephew for some data quality work, specifying the start and end dates and number of hours to be worked. Very easy then to show that the gross PAYE exceeded NMW.
                  Yes, exactly this. This is something that many many not consider necessary, but that HMRC will take a different view.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Oh aye, here we go: an email just landed...

We are writing to a selection of employers in Glasgow again, about the National Minimum Wage.
                    As one of those selected, we would very much like you to complete another short survey...
                    It's pretty prosaic stuff, but I'll be keeping my eye on this for a while just in case.

---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Working...
                    X