• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Highest day rate you have ever seen for your skillset.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigitalUser View Post

The real money, however, is in training, particularly Agile/Scrum type things. I know trainers who used to easily clear 10k for 2 days work (someone I know did 5 days, all expenses covered in Dubai for 25k).

Not my bag, but great if you want to be mortgage free by 40...
    That reminds me, my other half teaches TOGAF (amongst other mind-numbingly dull things). Version 10 is now out so keep me in the style I'd like to get accustomed to and book that course in!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That reminds me, my other half teaches TOGAF (amongst other mind-numbingly dull things). Version 10 is now out so keep me in the style I'd like to get accustomed to and book that course in!

hmmm ... regarding the Agile / SCRUM trainer, I did training at Skillsmatter (participant in a course) about 14 years ago and I knew a trainer there from the SCRUM Alliance. I had no idea that it was still going strong, I'd thought it was on the LATE ADOPTER / That Ship Has Sailed stage.

Question: is there any market for a sideline business of being a solution architect?

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

hmmm ... regarding the Agile / SCRUM trainer, I did training at Skillsmatter (participant in a course) about 14 years ago and I knew a trainer there from the SCRUM Alliance. I had no idea that it was still going strong, I'd thought it was on the LATE ADOPTER / That Ship Has Sailed stage.

Question: is there any market for a sideline business of being a solution architect?
        Dunno about as a side-line but there are regularly architect roles about. I'm thinking of getting the Business Architecture Foundation cert as I'm seeing more of that type of role coming up.

Comment

Dunno about as a side-line but there are regularly architect roles about. I'm thinking of getting the Business Architecture Foundation cert as I'm seeing more of that type of role coming up.
          How hard is a TOGAF to do - as a seasoned developer say? Does it take a long time to go through?

Comment

Originally posted by brightondeveloper View Post

How hard is a TOGAF to do - as a seasoned developer say? Does it take a long time to go through?
            It's a different mentality.

Developers make the worst architects. In fact techies always struggle to abstract themselves from the detail to actually become a proper architect.
            Having said that, there's a LOT more to architecture than TOGAF.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by brightondeveloper View Post

What Lance says!

You can do intensive courses and get it done in under a week if you're willing to put the effort in to not thinking like a developer. It's expensive to do so you ought to look at the ROI you'd get from the certificate before committing.

The Business Architecture cert I'm looking will cost about £350 because it's self-study, foundation level, and is not the full enterprise architecture framework that core TOGAF is all about. Core TOGAF isn't for me, it's completely unnecessary for what I'm interested in.

Comment

What Lance says!

You can do intensive courses and get it done in under a week if you're willing to put the effort in to not thinking like a developer. It's expensive to do so you ought to look at the ROI you'd get from the certificate before committing.

The Business Architecture cert I'm looking will cost about £350 because it's self-study, foundation level, and is not the full enterprise architecture framework that core TOGAF is all about. Core TOGAF isn't for me, it's completely unnecessary for what I'm interested in.
                Yeah - I spoke with someone about this and I think I am going to line up the Azure Solutions Architect Expert cert as it's more inline with my trajectory - thank you

Comment

What Lance says!

What cert are you doing? Is it the BCS one?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

What cert are you doing? Is it the BCS one?
                    This
                    https://www.credly.com/org/the-open-...ure-foundation

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      On the downside, there have been quite a few layoffs in Silicon Valley of late.
                      As you may have seen in the news, Silicon Valley Bank just went bust with around 94% of deposits uninsured by FDIC and their focus was on tech businesses, so those layoffs are about to accelerate...

Comment

Working...
                      X