• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spain digital nomad visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also to clarify, without an NIE number or equivalent residency identification, you will be applying for a non-resident's account. These incur additional bank charges. e.g. €16 per month

https://www.bancosantander.es/en/par...-no-residentes

Resident's current accounts often have no monthly fees.
    ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Hopefully not too off topic: https://www.politico.eu/article/port...entrification/

Comment

It is off topic. it's going to be messy enough discussing the Spanish one.

what I would say though, is that Spain has a different set of issues to address and that Spain is not directly comparable to other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

what I would say though, is that Spain has a different set of issues to address and that Spain is not directly comparable to other countries.
          Your problem is that if someone is thinking of calling themselves a “digital nomad” and is considering Spain as an option for a couple of years of their nomadic lifestyle, then they will need to compare it to other countries, such as the one they are currently resident in.
          Such as:
          1. How much does it cost to live there as a nomad?
          2. How do I invoice my clients?
          3. What about my family (kids education, etc)?
          4. What limitations are there?
          5. What do I have to give up?
          6. Am I wanting to be a nomad, or am I just wanting to get out of the UK until the sunlit uplands arrive, at which point I’ll be on the first plane “home”?
          etc
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yeah, they're still forced to wear face muzzles on public transport!!

Comment

Surely 'nomad' is a bit of a misnomer? Nomads move around, the scheme does sound like it's trying to attract longer term visits.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Your problem is that if someone is thinking of calling themselves a “digital nomad” and is considering Spain as an option for a couple of years of their nomadic lifestyle, then they will need to compare it to other countries, such as the one they are currently resident in.
                Such as:
                1. How much does it cost to live there as a nomad?
                2. How do I invoice my clients?
                3. What about my family (kids education, etc)?
                4. What limitations are there?
                5. What do I have to give up?
                6. Am I wanting to be a nomad, or am I just wanting to get out of the UK until the sunlit uplands arrive, at which point I’ll be on the first plane “home”?
                etc
                we tried it for a month, living in Spain. it's fairly easy to do, if you are both remote workers and the kids are young.

moving from the UK to Spain for a family man with a young family or a young single man, it's a no brainer. work there for 5 years, get a EU passport and then stay or, move on.

the cost of living there is peanuts in comparison, especially if you are young and stick to places like Grenada.

the food ingredients are better quality, the air, cleaner, the roads, health and rail networks are better.

from April, if you are caught by ir35 some people will be paying 53% tax in the uk on their daily rate. each child, in childcare is costing about 1150-1450 per month, per child.

that gets swapped for approx 15% tax, 350 euros per month, per child (it's state supported). private schooling? no problem. you don't need private health insurance but you can get it anyway.
                for a top earner who has two kids you will save 5 grand a month plus.
                how to invoice clients? invoicing smaller clients is easy, it's the bigger UK ones that will be off limits and you know what, I am ok with that. they ain't good to work for anyway.

I am planning to not work for UK based firms over time but if I do work for UK based firms, it most likely won't be for big companies that insist on the current ir35 and fcma umbrella scam which, appears to have been constructed to try and stop people working outside of the UK.

nice try UK government but it's actually sped up my desire to leave.

I can drop my rate by 40% and still have the same amount of money coming in. don't like being undercut by offshore peeps in the past? well, in the future it will be people like me undercutting those that can't or won't move.

this is snowball situation, there will be a trickle of people posting here that are gonna do it and over the next year's, it will be a flood.

agents won't be able to compute it initially but it's also possible that these same agencies will setup hubs in Spanish hot spots and start flogging bodies at a rate that nobody in the uk can compete with.

that's what the Spanish government is counting on, it's actually part of their strategy for doing this.

​​​​

Comment

it will be a flood
                  Exceptionally unlikely.

In any case, who are you trying to convince?

Comment

we tried it for a month, living in Spain. it's fairly easy to do, if you are both remote workers and the kids are young.

moving from the UK to Spain for a family man with a young family or a young single man, it's a no brainer. work there for 5 years, get a EU passport and then stay or, move on.

the cost of living there is peanuts in comparison, especially if you are young and stick to places like Grenada.

the food ingredients are better quality, the air, cleaner, the roads, health and rail networks are better.

from April, if you are caught by ir35 some people will be paying 53% tax in the uk on their daily rate. each child, in childcare is costing about 1150-1450 per month, per child.

that gets swapped for approx 15% tax, 350 euros per month, per child (it's state supported). private schooling? no problem. you don't need private health insurance but you can get it anyway.
                    for a top earner who has two kids you will save 5 grand a month plus.
                    how to invoice clients? invoicing smaller clients is easy, it's the bigger UK ones that will be off limits and you know what, I am ok with that. they ain't good to work for anyway.

I am planning to not work for UK based firms over time but if I do work for UK based firms, it most likely won't be for big companies that insist on the current ir35 and fcma umbrella scam which, appears to have been constructed to try and stop people working outside of the UK.

nice try UK government but it's actually sped up my desire to leave.

I can drop my rate by 40% and still have the same amount of money coming in. don't like being undercut by offshore peeps in the past? well, in the future it will be people like me undercutting those that can't or won't move.

this is snowball situation, there will be a trickle of people posting here that are gonna do it and over the next year's, it will be a flood.

agents won't be able to compute it initially but it's also possible that these same agencies will setup hubs in Spanish hot spots and start flogging bodies at a rate that nobody in the uk can compete with.

that's what the Spanish government is counting on, it's actually part of their strategy for doing this.
                    Sounds like (for you) there are absolutely zero downsides.
                    Do you have your UK driving licence?
                    Do you own car(s) in Spain?
                    What did you do with your UK home?
                    Did you enrol in language classes?

Oh, sorry, just re-read - you went for a 1 month trip, so none of the above a relevant.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

jamesbrown I am not trying to convince anyone but we have the usual types sea-gulling on a thread and not actually offering helpful information. The thread is in the business section, its not really a debating thread about 'why' and offering life counselling about decisions. Its about the 'how'. Every John in the UK will have 50p about the 'why', its subjective and I would suggest if someone wants to debate the why and is not planning on moving to Spain, keep it in General, don't seagull this thread. Thankyou.

As for the driving licence, if you plan to live in Spain (as I do), you will be able to swap your UK drivers licence for a Spanish one, you will need to do it in under 6 months into the residency. Source: British ambassador to Spain.

What to do with UK Home? Sell it. What to do with the language? Learn it. What to do about a Spanish car? Buy one. What to do with your shoelaces? Tie them.

Comment

Working...
                      X