• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spain digital nomad visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to refer you all to the facebook group as I don't want to upset the admins here but I used a para-legal to help me with the docs.

Main issue is the A1 certificate from HMRC, everything else is easy. There is a list on the Spanish Manchester and London consulate sites.

You can use your limited but the 24% flat tax rate probably won't apply if you use that route (it won't be 100% confirmed for a while), you would have to use a U.K Brolly and swallow the U.K NI deductions. I am OK with that but others may not be.

Comment

The itch I keep on coming back to scratch!

Current thinking is why don't I incorporate an Irish company and at renewal, move the contract across to that. I don't think that will create an issue with my US client.

Assuming my visa application was successful I could then pay myself something like £ 50k and pay 24% tax on that, whilst the Irish Ltd company pays only 12.5% Corp. Tax on the rest. IR35 (or similar) almost completely goes away and I have free movement throughout the EU. Company is building up a big some for my retirement (c. 3 years). Rent my UK home out and make a bit off that whilst its value rises. **** all tax to the UK is a big bonus.

See what happens under Labour but what am I missing here?

Comment

I think you should pay for a Spanish tax expert to give you options.

I think you would need to thinking about moving to a part of Spain without a wealth tax if your property and assets are above the thresh-holds.

You will need a proper UK Payroll, not your UK Limited to survive a beckham rate (24%) audit.

The other consideration though is that with UK NICS on that payroll - if you get the 24% Spanish flat-rate you can actually offset some of the UK Employers NICS you pay on the UK payroll against the Spanish bill as expenses and you end up paying less than 24% e.g. 17-24%.

If you are fully paid up on your UK NICS Contributions then I would look very closely at other options, obviously Spain is the number one choice if you have a young family but if you don't it might be worth considering what the other options are because you'll need to keep paying's NICS.

Obviously a limited will work but I doubt you will survive an audit.
        Last edited by Bluenose; 30 June 2024, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
          I think you should pay for a Spanish tax expert to give you options.

I think you would need to thinking about moving to a part of Spain without a wealth tax if your property and assets are above the thresh-holds.

You will need a proper UK Payroll, not your UK Limited to survive a beckham rate (24%) audit.

The other consideration though is that with UK NICS on that payroll - if you get the 24% Spanish flat-rate you can actually offset some of the UK Employers NICS you pay on the UK payroll against the Spanish bill as expenses and you end up paying less than 24% e.g. 17-24%.

If you are fully paid up on your UK NICS Contributions then I would look very closely at other options, obviously Spain is the number one choice if you have a young family but if you don't it might be worth considering what the other options are because you'll need to keep paying's NICS.

Obviously a limited will work but I doubt you will survive an audit.
          Think I've written this off again, certainly from a Limited company perspective. Others have pointed out that I may be creating a 'permanent establishment' and risk facing two lots of corporation tax.

I'm resigned to fulfilling this 12 month extension I just signed, hoping there's another one off the back of that, and if so, retiring in mid-2016, god willing. I can then move to Spain on a non-lucrative visa and get my golf handicap down!!
          Last edited by oliverson; 1 July 2024, 09:44.

Comment

Working...
          X