• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US contractor - US based - EU Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US contractor - US based - EU Client

Asking for a friend Totally UK unrelated but I’m sure the learned community has the knowledge.

Got a friend, US citizen, lives in the US, but has an opportunity to contract for an EU-based client (fully remote) - any ideas on options for engaging?
    Do US contractors have similar Ltd companies, or go through a US-based payroll firm, or an EU-based payroll firm dealing with US personnel?
    Any recommendations?

Ta !

Point of order - we are not in the EU. Also the EU is not one place as far as engagement is concerned (and taxation and, although I suspect the US rules will apply), they all have their own ideas.

That said, there are people on here who are and may have a better idea
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
      Asking for a friend
      You lie. You have no friends
      Totally UK unrelated
      Off topic. Permaban
      Got a friend, US citizen, lives in the US, but has an opportunity to contract for an EU-based client (fully remote) - any ideas on options for engaging?
      Do US contractors have similar Ltd companies, or go through a US-based payroll firm, or an EU-based payroll firm dealing with US personnel?
      Any recommendations?
      Have you asked on ContractorUSA.com?
      Has the made up friend asked their accountant?

Don't even think Sue B can help with this one even if she does turn up
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Going well so far I see

Comment

The questions to consider:
          1. How does the EU client want to pay him
          2. What sort of invoices can he raise? (currency, taxes, etc)
          3. Does the EU client have any US presence that could be used to put the contract through?
          4. Which country in the EU is the client in?

I would expect his side of things will be taxed in the US. For everything else, he'd need to engage with someone who has all the details and understands how to work it.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            The questions to consider:
            1. How does the EU client want to pay him
            2. What sort of invoices can he raise? (currency, taxes, etc)
            3. Does the EU client have any US presence that could be used to put the contract through?
            4. Which country in the EU is the client in?

I would expect his side of things will be taxed in the US. For everything else, he'd need to engage with someone who has all the details and understands how to work it.
            1. Pay in euro (so into a Wise account and then exchange as and when i would think)
            2. Probably the agency will do self billing (have found an agency on the client’s PSL that works with US resources)
            3. Yep, they have a US based entity but the contract will likely go through the EU entity
            4. Belgium

Oh, and it’s a her, not him.
            I would expect taxes to remain US based. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X