• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NI Number

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NI Number

Hi all,

I've been in contract for some time now, there has been a change in MSP for the end client and now the new one are asking for my NI number as apparently they have to report this to HMRC. All sounds a bit strange, but they have sent me links to intermediary legislation which isnt new so im confused why they want it all of a sudden.

Has anyone on an outside IR35 contract here had to provide this to the recruiter so they can report it to HMRC?

Thanks,
    Anthony

Originally posted by antuk View Post
    Hi all,

I've been in contract for some time now, there has been a change in MSP for the end client and now the new one are asking for my NI number as apparently they have to report this to HMRC. All sounds a bit strange, but they have sent me links to intermediary legislation which isnt new so im confused why they want it all of a sudden.

Has anyone on an outside IR35 contract here had to provide this to the recruiter so they can report it to HMRC?

Thanks,
    Anthony
    Agency reporting has been required for a very long time - and

1) all agencies in the chain need to provide the information which means the MSP will need to provide it not just your agency
    2) yes that does require your NI number...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So you've been outside for a long time and have changed MSPs and are still working at the client.

You sure you are outside?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Agency reporting has been required for a very long time - and

1) all agencies in the chain need to provide the information which means the MSP will need to provide it not just your agency
        2) yes that does require your NI number...
        Can I just confirm this has no impact on IR35 status? Ive never had to do this before in over 10 years

Comment

Impossible to tell.

Comment

Can I just confirm this has no impact on IR35 status? Ive never had to do this before in over 10 years
            Agency reporting is a legal requirement for all work done on a time basis where the person paying the person doing the work isn't the limited company itself.

Whether it has any impact on IR35 status - not a clue because that depends on HMRC, end clients and everyone else.

What I can say is that an agency needs to legally report the information and a risk adverse agency would be perfectly within their rights to terminate you for multiple reasons if you don't willingly provide your number.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              So you've been outside for a long time and have changed MSPs and are still working at the client.

You sure you are outside?
              Yeah im outside, both myself and the end client complete assessments every 6 month with QDOS.

The end client has brought in a MSP and its the new MSP that is asking for the details, there are no changes to the contracts etc.

Comment

Yeah im outside, both myself and the end client complete assessments every 6 month with QDOS.

The end client has brought in a MSP and its the new MSP that is asking for the details, there are no changes to the contracts etc.
                As everyone else has told you it is a legal requirement for the agency.

As long as you don't stay with the client for years then you are likely to be OK on the IR35 front.

However if you have an accountant who does your payroll, does your VAT, does and pays your employers NI returns, tells you how much money you should take out of your business monthly/quarterly/yearly, etc then I suggest you move asap.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X