• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid Question - Outside Roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Yeah, but if you have one of those nasty clauses in your contract that say your company is liable for any losses that the agency suffer due to IR35 determinations, then you don’t want an SDS since it could move the liability from the client to the agency to you.
    Go and read Late IR35 status determination - Contractor UK Bulletin Board to see how not having 1 before you begin working plays out...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Go and read Late IR35 status determination - Contractor UK Bulletin Board to see how not having 1 before you begin working plays out...
      So he got a nice contract but it might end after ten months? Sounds OK to me.

Client might be upset at having to pay some extra tax, but they can hardly blame him for that.

Comment

So he got a nice contract but it might end after ten months? Sounds OK to me.

Client might be upset at having to pay some extra tax, but they can hardly blame him for that.
        Contract has a claw back clause within it….

and the thing is that this has gone on stupidly long - given how the law is set if a client is playing games the SDS would appear in month 3 or 4 and you would see the unpaid payments in month 3 and 4 disappear into the now required deemed payments.
        Last edited by eek; 19 August 2022, 06:59.

Comment

Contract has a claw back clause within it….

and the thing is that this has gone on stupidly long - given how the law is set if a client is playing games the SDS would appear in month 3 or 4 and you would see the unpaid payments in month 3 and 4 disappear into the now required deemed payments.
          But the thing above from Guy Incognito says that since the client has (I assume) paid the agency before issuing the SDS the Client is on the hook for any taxes and the agency won’t be able to claw anything back. So no problemo.

Comment

But the thing above from Guy Incognito says that since the client has (I assume) paid the agency before issuing the SDS the Client is on the hook for any taxes and the agency won’t be able to claw anything back. So no problemo.
            Go and read the full thread...

The whole point of a clawback clause is that it allows them to legally go back (via a court if necessary) and ask you to repay everything that should have been paid in tax to HMRC - regardless of when it was paid... The reason a clawback clause exists isn't even for this type of scenario its for when HMRC visits an end client - finds a problem with a few workers and asks for all 1,000+ others to be treated the same way....

And the reason why an agency will want to collect the money off you is that if they recover the money they are paying tax using the money they paid you (50% goes to HMRC, 50% is paid back to you). Without that clawback the agency needs to pay HMRC roughly what it paid to you in the first place...

Comment

Go and read the full thread...

The whole point of a clawback clause is that it allows them to legally go back (via a court if necessary) and ask you to repay everything that should have been paid in tax to HMRC - regardless of when it was paid... The reason a clawback clause exists isn't even for this type of scenario its for when HMRC visits an end client - finds a problem with a few workers and asks for all 1,000+ others to be treated the same way....

And the reason why an agency will want to collect the money off you is that if they recover the money they are paying tax using the money they paid you (50% goes to HMRC, 50% is paid back to you). Without that clawback the agency needs to pay HMRC roughly what it paid to you in the first place...
              I'm still struggling to see how you see this so clearly, that the claw back clause would even stand up in court, there's literally zero legal precedence.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

I'm still struggling to see how you see this so clearly, that the claw back clause would even stand up in court, there's literally zero legal precedence.
                Because there is zero legal precedence no one has a clue whether it will stand up in court.

However it's a B2B contract so I reckon it's at least a 60/40 chance that it would stand up in court....

What we do know is HMRC's advice is to inflect the pain back to the contractor even when it isn't their fault.

Comment

Because there is zero legal precedence no one has a clue whether it will stand up in court.

However it's a B2B contract so I reckon it's at least a 60/40 chance that it would stand up in court....

What we do know is HMRC's advice is to inflect the pain back to the contractor even when it isn't their fault.
                  In light of the clauses hugebrain highlighted, I'd see HMRC having some trouble on their hands - orgs like IPSE should be chopping at the bit to represent such a case.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

In light of the clauses hugebrain highlighted, I'd see HMRC having some trouble on their hands - orgs like IPSE should be chopping at the bit to represent such a case.
                    These clauses have nothing to do with HMRC - it's a commercial agreement between the agency and the contractor's limited company.

Whether IPSE has a large another fund to actually support a case is an interesting and separate question....

Comment

These clauses have nothing to do with HMRC - it's a commercial agreement between the agency and the contractor's limited company.

Whether IPSE has a large another fund to actually support a case is an interesting and separate question....
                      A case would have HMRC involvement without doubt, if there is legislation regarding SDS issuing and a meager "claw-back clause" undermining it.

Think about it in the context of business tax capture, you can't litigate yourself out of obligations, no matter what clause you put in a B2B contract.

Comment

Working...
                      X