• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you stop contracting if Plan B paid off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If I had a guaranteed income that required little or no maintenance on my part then, being about as driven as a wet lettuce, I'd get a little part-time job that would keep the brain cells from dying off but I wouldn't go about setting up companies and trying to be the next Branson (or whoever).

Some people are not born to be serial entrepreneurs we just like to turn up, get paid, go home.
    I've been a wannabe entrepreneur and even put quite a bit of time into it but ultimately I discovered I didn't really have the balls to commit 100% and that's the only way to make it work. In my younger days I was desperate to my my own PC games, and I still like the idea but only for fun not profit. I'd like to try my hand at writing but only if I didn't need the money!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

A compromise would be to work through an umbrella rather than running your own limited company. That way you'd avoid politics, appraisals, etc. but you'd also be able to take gaps between contracts and only work when you get bored or want a bit of extra cash (assuming that your "plan B" covers your routine expenses).
      Mmm have you missed the threads on people being forced to work through specific umbrella companies? That's politics right there.

The only way to avoid politics is do a job which has no human interaction.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I've been a wannabe entrepreneur and even put quite a bit of time into it but ultimately I discovered I didn't really have the balls to commit 100% and that's the only way to make it work. In my younger days I was desperate to my my own PC games, and I still like the idea but only for fun not profit. I'd like to try my hand at writing but only if I didn't need the money!
        That's what £100K of passive income would do for you, it would free you up to start your own gaming business. I bet this is what happened with the majority of billionaire entrepreneurs who claim that they started from nothing, but in reality they either had rich daddies or strong passive income.

Comment

Originally posted by achilles View Post

That's what £100K of passive income would do for you, it would free you up to start your own gaming business. I bet this is what happened with the majority of billionaire entrepreneurs who claim that they started from nothing, but in reality they either had rich daddies or strong passive income.
          Lots of them started at university/college. Many have gone bankrupt at least once. The thing about software is you don't (didn't) need a lot of money to create something. You could literally do it on your PC coding all night.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Lots of them started at university/college. Many have gone bankrupt at least once. The thing about software is you don't (didn't) need a lot of money to create something. You could literally do it on your PC coding all night.
            Your best bet is retro style games.

One man development studios died with the Spectrum and Commodore 64.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Your best bet is retro style games.

One man development studios died with the Spectrum and Commodore 64.
              Not quite that long ago but certainly for today. There was a resurgence in 1-man teams the early days of mobile gaming but now you phone can run Crysis everyone expects modern phone games to be as polished as other platforms.

You just need to come up with one of these viral puzzle games or the next Wordle

Comment

Working...
              X