• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should i be charging client for travel time and hotel expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should i be charging client for travel time and hotel expense

I have asked to attend the office on the first day of my contract. I was wondering if i should be charging client for travel time and hotel cost?

I have asked the agency and waiting for their feedback on this.

Originally posted by sdyson31 View Post
    I have asked to attend the office on the first day of my contract. I was wondering if i should be charging client for travel time and hotel cost?

I have asked the agency and waiting for their feedback on this.
    Is the contract 100% remote.

If not Nope and even then I wouldn't be billing for a one off journey.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Is the contract 100% remote.

Yes, its fully remote.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        This. You are going to earn how much on this gig that you wouldn't have got in the old days? You are business, sometimes you have to cover the cost here and there.

You could make a great first impression or look like a problem before they've even met you. How much is the former worth?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 19 May 2022, 20:25.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would pay for the travel and hotel myself but invoice the client for the bar tab and and adult entertainment.

Comment

It does all come down to what is in the contract.

If the travel is significant and you need to travel, say, on a Sunday to make sure that you're available on the Monday at the required time then I would charge for it. However if it's just a few hours on the train and an early start then I'd be less inclined to charge for it. When I lived on the South Coast and drove to Swindon for work I would turn up a little later on the Monday and leave at lunchtime on the Friday. You need to talk to your client about flexing hours to accommodate travel.

Regarding the hotel, that will need to be agreed with the client as the agency will just quote the contract at you. Usually there's a clause about no expenses unless with prior client agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

This. You are going to earn how much on this gig that you wouldn't have got in the old days? You are business, sometimes you have to cover the cost here and there.

You could make a great first impression or look like a problem before they've even met you. How much is the former worth?
              Agreed - what is it about contracting that makes some people chase every penny?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Agreed - what is it about contracting that makes some people chase every penny?
                I don't know, you made this post... maybe you can tell us?

Comment

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post

I don't know, you made this post... maybe you can tell us?
                  Did they? Would you like to double check that?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Would you like to double check that?
                    No, I'm going to stand by my comments - it worked for me in management consulting for so many years!

Comment

Working...
                    X