• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saving for pension - any regrets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I would have probably invested the money in Yahoo or MySpace shares.
    Invest the money in low cost global equity and bond trackers and then just let it all grow until you have enough money, that even after taking a living it grows so fast that when you die it's still over £1m there in each of your pensions.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
      Government pretends they are giving you tax relief, while secretly hoping your money grows so they can charge you more tax than you would have paid in the first place.
      This is certainly not the case. The nature of democratic government is short-termism.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

No, but there is really no excuse why people like IT contractors are not saving the maximum possible over the next 10 or 20 years.

I invested heavily so that I and my wife am retired this July aged 55.
        I was earning bundles in the 2000s. Spent the lot and hit thirty with no house, no pension and no cash after taking 15 months off travelling.

Having said that I would hate to retire as young as 55.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
          but only if you had a scheme already open in the year(s) you're catching up on
          You're right, which implies that it's worth encouraging people to start a pension fund early, even if there's barely anything in it; that way, they'll have the option of using the allowance later.

Comment

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post

I was earning bundles in the 2000s. Spent the lot and hit thirty with no house, no pension and no cash after taking 15 months off travelling.

Having said that I would hate to retire as young as 55.
              You are only in your 20s once....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What do you all think of using NEST an making one off payments there?

Comment

Originally posted by Michail View Post
                  What do you all think of using NEST an making one off payments there?
                  Very expensive for that approach given that there are other far cheaper options.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                    Below is 20 years of investing into a global mix of stocks, bonds, REITS etc, assuming a very conservative 7% pa tax free increase in these assets in a SIPP.

£1.7m, well over the limit. Just investing in the S&P 500 tracker would return over 10% for last 30 years as an average.

10.72%
                    Average Market Return for the Last 30 Years
                    Looking at the S&P 500 for the years 1991 to 2020, the average stock market return for the last 30 years is 10.72% (8.29% when adjusted for inflation).
                    Could not agree more, I always thought it's a great way to get money out of the business and for inside gigs it's an absolute no-brainer to reduce tax by maximising pension contribution (For me anyway).
                    Alongside SIPP (mostly global tracker ETF's e.g. VWRL) I have ISA's in similar state. Advantage is they can be used tax free to subsidise move to part time (summer's off anyone ?) without triggering drawdown on the SIPP, which is left to compound.

I cannot describe the feeling of not needing to work, say goodbye to any job/bellend who pushes your buttons just too hard, jobs I have dug deep and sucked up/lived away from home are a distant memory.

Time to pack in is when you've got enough and you've had enough, just hope the first one happens earlier than the second....
                    We all know the old guy dragging himself in for one more day with nothing in the tank cos of bad luck, decisions, divorce, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
                      Those of you folks that are locking away funds in pension, ever regretted it ? I mean not being able to access that money and all associated opportunity cost (like property perhaps)?
                      curious of you guys and gals approach to retirement
                      I've not read the thread but based on my own personal experience of pensions, having just retired, I've learnt;

Generally pensions are a good thing and the tax concessions make it very worthwhile.
                      You have loads of options when coming to take the money - only the badly advised will pay full tax here, simply because you don't have to.
                      It's never too late or too early to start.
                      An IFA may seem expensive but in my case it's been well worth it to protect me from myself.

Last edited by Lockhouse; 8 May 2022, 08:31.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X