• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Description of Services help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Description of Services help

Hi,

My Clients is wanting me to provide a contract. I'm using the Qdos direct contract and I'm unsure how much information to put in "Description of consultancy services"

My Ltd will be implementing new features in existing software for the client.

So the brief from the client is "add some features to our software" and you have no idea what those features are, what the software is, how you're going to add them, you're not going to do any testing, any coordination of UAT, no training for the support team, no documentation, no project or budget management?

If you don't know what it is you're doing, I can see why you can't describe it in the contract.

Comment

Doesn't sound like consultancy, sounds more like bum on seat inside IR35 role?

One of my clients manages the whole IR35 and Statement of Work thing very well. They gave me a detailed SOW in the form of a table, listing:
      • Six different objectives or outcomes.
      • Specific tasks for each objective - what needs to be done to achieve that objective?
      • Measures of success including metrics.
      • Target date
      • Progress/Revision (any agreed changes)

I adapted it for use with my other client where the agency originally cobbled together a few bullet points which were too vague with no specific targets or outcomes. I reworked this into the format above but it took three meetings with the client before I was able to clearly document what they wanted.

I don't work in technical roles so YMMV but if you can't describe what you're doing in similar terms as above then is it really consulting?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

One of my clients manages the whole IR35 and Statement of Work thing very well. They gave me a detailed SOW in the form of a table, listing:
        • Six different objectives or outcomes.
        • Specific tasks for each objective - what needs to be done to achieve that objective?
        • Measures of success including metrics.
        • Target date
        • Progress/Revision (any agreed changes)

I adapted it for use with my other client where the agency originally cobbled together a few bullet points which were too vague with no specific targets or outcomes. I reworked this into the format above but it took three meetings with the client before I was able to clearly document what they wanted.

I don't work in technical roles so YMMV but if you can't describe what you're doing in similar terms as above then is it really consulting?
        Everything and anything can be outside if the client doesn't have appropriate in house resources.

The only thing required here is a SoW that highlights the enhancements required and provides appropriate milestones and success points.

Oh and you can even include bug fixes if you are careful and introduce an upgrade to the next framework version....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          If the OP cannot write something so simple then the OP is probably going to need SD&C anyway. So I think you might well be correct.
          I write my own SOWs, or am happy with a client's SOW. But to not know where to start would be a concern.

For the OP....

summat like this....

To deliver
          - requirements gathering
          - document specifications for in-scope upgrades
          - provide agreed upgrades
          - test plan
          - documentation of upgrades
          - handover to operational support
          - defect fixes after testing
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment