• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding assignments for a new role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

This. Only happened a couple of times but I have never got a contract following a test. Same with multiple interviews.

Without fail the best contracts I have had have been on the back of quick chats.
    Of course one way to read this is that the more thoroughly you were checked, the less likely you were to get the gig for some reason

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

The worst assignment I saw was an app to crawl multiple remote stores of completely unstructured documents and process into structured data.

Note we are talking TB of data here and the solution had to be deployed on AWS (note they offered £200 towards costs)
      Digital web agencies call this or used to call this "Speculative design" - and it's a no-no. They refuse. They instead write a proper Tender for Contract.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd prefer to be asked some sort of practical programming question in-interview or offline. The former typically involves demonstrating that I cannot write on a white-board or remember the standard library API names - neither of which are remotely important. While the latter can easily be a tedious long test I am not really prepared to do.

So much of real development is not "write an algorithm to do X" but "write code which gets data from this front-end framework, validates it, sends it to that web-service using another framework, waits for a reply then parses the response and persists to the database layer using another framework".

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

So much of real development is not "write an algorithm to do X" but "write code which gets data from this front-end framework, validates it, sends it to that web-service using another framework, waits for a reply then parses the response and persists to the database layer using another framework".
          Not in my game - Topcoder/Leetcode style questions are pretty common though and I really enjoy doing that because I have practiced a lot over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Not in my game - Topcoder/Leetcode style questions are pretty common though and I really enjoy doing that because I have practiced a lot over the years.
            I used to to a lot on TC but that was years and years back. I never had much training for the formalised algorithm stuff (though it is fun) but actually made a reasonable chunk of money from their software design side of things on the side before I entered contracting (no idea if it's still going but it was a goldmine for a couple of boom years).

Comment

I think a lot of these assignments are to see who loves coding in their spare time. They are looking for people that don't blink when deadlines are imposed that force evening and weekend coding.

I'm glad I'm finished from the industry now.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                I think a lot of these assignments are to see who loves coding in their spare time. They are looking for people that don't blink when deadlines are imposed that force evening and weekend coding.

I'm glad I'm finished from the industry now.
                Who wouldn't prefer to hire people who enjoy what they do and care about it?

Comment

Who wouldn't prefer to hire people who enjoy what they do and care about it?
                  Well of course. Hire those that would do it for free and think nothing of spending 60 hours a week on the tasks. That's the mindset in IT, fill yer boots!
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Well of course. Hire those that would do it for free and think nothing of spending 60 hours a week on the tasks. That's the mindset in IT, fill yer boots!
                    And that's exactly what I did to get skilled and in a position to overtake all my peers income-wise. Good hard graft.

Comment

And that's exactly what I did to get skilled and in a position to overtake all my peers income-wise. Good hard graft.
                      Me too and it has paid off handsomely.

There is many a computer science graduate who can't break into the industry because they have done zero programming outside of their degree course.

Comment

Working...
                      X