• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked to do overtime at short notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asked to do overtime at short notice

Long story short, got asked on Saturday morning to do some OT. I wasn't too pleased, but the work only took ten minutes so am charging them the day rate.

Two questions:

1. How can I avoid this in the future?
    2. Normally as perm I'd get double time, so can I charge them whatever the hell I want given I've made clear to them early on?

Cheers
    MG

edit: Contract says nothing about it

If it was a genuine emergency then probably fair enough so long as you could have turned it down if you had something on. Not something you would want to make a habit of though.

Did you negotiate a price upfront? If not then daily rate.

Comment

To avoid in the future, don't be contactable when you don't want to be available.

How did the client get hold of you on a Saturday morning?

Comment

Originally posted by mgrover View Post
        2. Normally as perm I'd get double time, so can I charge them whatever the hell I want given I've made clear to them early on?
        No because you are not a perm. You can't compare the two willy nilly when you fancy it. You are contracted for a day rate. If you haven't got provision in your contract for weekend work then IMO you have to assume the day rate for this one. What you need to do is negotiate with them what any overtime rates are to avoid confusion in the future.

What is your contract status? Outside or inside? Being asked to do overtime is pretty clear D&C so puts your outside status at risk if it is outside.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the contract is silent, you cannot negotiate it after the fact, so it will be standard terms. For future reference, you could’ve negotiated it live - an e-mail can form a contract or contract variation, assuming the other party has the authority.

Comment

OTOH....

Day rate is chaegeable if you do any effective work in a 24 hour period. Getting full rate for a small bit of work plus kudos gained, is adequate recompense and good customer relations.

We shouldn't be paid for time worked only for delivering stuff. When we do it is irrelevant; that's between you and YourCo
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              OTOH....

Day rate is chaegeable if you do any effective work in a 24 hour period. Getting full rate for a small bit of work plus kudos gained, is adequate recompense and good customer relations.

We shouldn't be paid for time worked only for delivering stuff. When we do it is irrelevant; that's between you and YourCo
              Agreed but if you've ever charged them half days for holidays or anything be prepared for them to expect half day charge so you need to push back. Some clients/agents will accept half day billing which works both ways. If you've used it for a morning off so you don't lose a whole days billing then you can imagine they are going to want to utilise the same concept from their side. You did less than a half a day so bill in half day limits.

Not saying they will or it's wrong or right, just asking if it's a concept on your gig and if so they may expect that like you might have if you've used it before that's all. Just be prepared.

P.S. It's not overtime either. It's billable work. Use the right terminology and the comparisons vs perm other aspects of it might fall in to place better.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 11 April 2022, 10:05.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Now heres my take on this - does the client know it only took 10 mins?
                Charging a whole day? Hmmm? As NLUK says if you've used half days in the past then you might be on rocky ground here.

If it was only 10 mins and one-off - do for free? Depends on the client. Just beware this could be opening up a whole new p*take of expecting it for free.

As others have said though, just don't be available. If they call on a Sat ignore it then text them back an hour later and say, sorry I'm out with the kids or something.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  To avoid in the future, don't be contactable when you don't want to be available.

How did the client get hold of you on a Saturday morning?
                  My work/personal laptop are the same and I have teams on my phone/laptop. Rookie mistake on my part

Comment

I made it very clear to the client after the fact exactly what happened. Ie 10mins to a day rate. I setup a call with them the next day to explain if they wanted me to work anymore overtime then we'd have to agree the rates for that.

They seemed happy with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X