• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permanent to Contract... Please help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanent to Contract... Please help!

Thread moved
    Originally posted by T1994 View Post
    I am a BA of 5 years experience, who is keen to move from a permanent role and go into contracting.

I am curently in a permanent role with a 3 months notice, but I am determined to move into contracting - but trying to workout how I can do so whilst on a 3 months contract. So really looking for some insight or advice really. Thanks
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

1. Make sure that you have 6 months of savings to last you 6 months without work.

2. Put in your notice.

3. Keep an eye on jobboards/LinkedIn until 1 week before you walk out of work and then start applying for contracts.

That's it.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

I would start applying now and do a few interviews.

Many people who have been in a role for a long time get a nasty shock when they start interviewing for roles and I would go as far as to say that being comfortable in interviews is part of the contractor skillset.

Worry about your notice period if and when you resign - you may be able to negotiate something that works for all parties.

Comment

Need to grow some, hand your notice in and start looking. If you are scared of a gap between work then you've got a bigger problem coming. We have a saying that your second contract is the hardest to get. You'll have no income with only one gig behind you so the worst place in your contracting career.

At the moment you've got it super cushy. You should start looking about 2 weeks before you leave which is how long the majority of clients are willing to wait. If you don't get a gig then fair enough, you start contracting the proper way with zero income looking for work. That's what we do. If you aren't ready for that don't jump in I am afraid.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have to say though, BA with 5 years experience? Unless you've got super lucky and that 5 years is in some proper big BA work I'd say you aren't the most experienced by a long chalk and if it's general doing stuff on projects rather than proper BA work you'll be a generalist is a very very tough market.

You say nothing about your skills and what you do so I could be totally wrong but starting with BA for 5 years the alarm bells are ringing.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd be scouring job boards to see what's out there and seeing if I could do a bit more digging with agents somehow. Get your CV up to snuff and out there on sites/agencies though in a way your employer doesn't see it.

Why do you want to move into contracting is worth asking, and what level of financial security in case you can't walk into a gig, or you get one but it falls apart after a few days/weeks (not unknown)?

I certainly wouldn't be handing in my notice and then starting to do my research.

Have you much accrued holiday that might get your notice down? Is it likely your employer will want you to work the full notice period, or would they let you go sooner as far as you can guage?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Thread moved

So can you not actually move threads anymore either in the new forum?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Nope.

Comment

The thing to remember with contracting is that a lot of organisations will want the contractor to demonstrate exact relevant experience in the recent past (I.e, in the last 2-3 assignments). Looking at what is out there, does your recent experience include all of the areas of expertise they are asking for? If not, you are going to have a tough time as you will always be at the back of the line while more established contractors pick off the best contracts.

Comment

Another way to get contracts is networking. However if you knew how to do that you wouldn't be posting here. ​​​​​Keep that in mind for the future so make sure you are nice to everyone in life as you never know when you will meet them again.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X