• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting - resources?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting - resources?

Hi All,

I’ve recently accepted my my first contracting role (outside IR35) and handed in my notice for my perm role. I’m going to, hopefully, be picking up Cyber Security contracts for the foreseeable future.

It’s all very new to me at the moment, I’ve set up my company, got the relevant insurances, got an accountant etc. I’m conscious my first contract will be the easiest to get, from my comfortable permanent position.

My questions are:
    - Are there any good contracting resources/groups to sign up too?
    - Are there any newsletters or similar you’ve found beneficial?
    - What sites are people keeping an eye on for new contract roles?
    - Would anyone recommend any agencies / recruiters to connect with for Cyber Security roles in the future?

Also, if you have any other wisdom to share for a new contractor starting out, please do, very much appreciated!

Originally posted by CS Contracting View Post
    - Are there any good contracting resources/groups to sign up too?
    You already did.
    - Are there any newsletters or similar you’ve found beneficial?
    You'll get plenty of good stuff from here
    - What sites are people keeping an eye on for new contract roles?
    Linkedin
    - Would anyone recommend any agencies / recruiters to connect with for Cyber Security roles in the future?
    No. Each agent only gets a certain number of roles from the clients they work with. To connect to just them is narrowing your field. Just find out how to use linkedin properly. That doesn't mean connect to every recruiter going. That's a waste of time. Just have a good profile with all the right experience and they will come find you.
    Also, if you have any other wisdom to share for a new contractor starting out, please do, very much appreciated!
    Read the First Timers guide to the right
    Use the forum google search method. In google type <keywords> site:forums.contractoruk.com
    Do lots of reasearch. Everything you need to know is on here on the web
    Make sure you properly understand IR35. It's change recently so now need an SDS from the client which has all sorts of pitfalls. Understand how to secure your IR35 role properly and what IR35 means when you are in the role. You can destroy your own status putting yourself at risk even if you do have an SDS. They determine the role is outside but it's up to you to understand what that means and continue to work outside.
    You are running a business now. That is your job. The stuff at the client is easy, anyone can do that, even permies. Essential skills are managing your finance and company properly now.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You already did.

You'll get plenty of good stuff from here

Linkedin

No. Each agent only gets a certain number of roles from the clients they work with. To connect to just them is narrowing your field. Just find out how to use linkedin properly. That doesn't mean connect to every recruiter going. That's a waste of time. Just have a good profile with all the right experience and they will come find you.

Read the First Timers guide to the right
      Use the forum google search method. In google type site:forums.contractoruk.com
      Do lots of reasearch. Everything you need to know is on here on the web
      Make sure you properly understand IR35. It's change recently so now need an SDS from the client which has all sorts of pitfalls. Understand how to secure your IR35 role properly and what IR35 means when you are in the role. You can destroy your own status putting yourself at risk even if you do have an SDS. They determine the role is outside but it's up to you to understand what that means and continue to work outside.
      You are running a business now. That is your job. The stuff at the client is easy, anyone can do that, even permies. Essential skills are managing your finance and company properly now.
      Thanks, I’m going to read up on IR35 in more detail, but when you have a minute, would you mind elaborating on:
      “It's change recently so now need an SDS from the client which has all sorts of pitfalls. Understand how to secure your IR35 role properly and what IR35 means when you are in the role. You can destroy your own status putting yourself at risk even if you do have an SDS. They determine the role is outside but it's up to you to understand what that means and continue to work outside.”

Comment

Thanks, I’m going to read up on IR35 in more detail, but when you have a minute, would you mind elaborating on:
        “It's change recently so now need an SDS from the client which has all sorts of pitfalls. Understand how to secure your IR35 role properly and what IR35 means when you are in the role. You can destroy your own status putting yourself at risk even if you do have an SDS. They determine the role is outside but it's up to you to understand what that means and continue to work outside.”
        Take a look at this sticky post in the Accounting/Legal forum:
        Be careful if you take Outside IR35 contracts - Contractor UK Bulletin Board

Comment

This is where you should have read up BEFORE you started your contract. New rules mean that the determination now lies with the client, unless it's a small one, and they have to issue an SDS determining you inside our outside. You need an SDS in your grubb mitt before you start really but the client doesn't have to issue one until the first payment. The problem we are seeing is people are starting gigs with the promise of it being outside, doing a month or whatever the payment timescales are and then the client saying it's inside so you get taxed to high heaven.

There is a ton of reading in the IR35 Reform part of the forum but I think this thread will be a good start.
          https://forums.contractoruk.com/ir35...statement.html

Comment

If you have security clearance you can look on Security Cleared Jobs. If you do not, SC cleared jobs are easy to come by, for example as long as you are a UK resident with single nationality, no links to foreign countries, do not have a criminal record and are not a terrorist, you should be good to get SC clearance. It takes around 6 weeks. Having this means a lower pool of people applying for the same job.

Comment

Hi All,

Remember that a large chunk of that cash rapidly accruing in your business account is owed to HMRC - maybe in 3 months time or maybe in a years time. Do not be tempted to spend it even if your current rate means you should easily be able to make up the shortfall - you could be let go tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by goonbreath View Post
                If you have security clearance you can look on Security Cleared Jobs. If you do not, SC cleared jobs are easy to come by, for example as long as you are a UK resident with single nationality, no links to foreign countries, do not have a criminal record and are not a terrorist, you should be good to get SC clearance. It takes around 6 weeks. Having this means a lower pool of people applying for the same job.
                Where did this come from? Sadly this isn't true though. in 99% of times you just won't get considered without existing clearance. The number of clients willing to wait 6 weeks to put you through SC is tiny. You'll just get passed over for the next person with SC.

Comment

Sorry this comes from my experience. I have clearance but others apply and joined with no previous experience

Comment

Originally posted by goonbreath View Post
                    Sorry this comes from my experience. I have clearance but others apply and joined with no previous experience
                    Indeed but there is plenty of experience on here telling us that is not the general rule. If it is your experience maybe worth adding it rather than it looking like a statement of fact for the whole situation.

Comment

Working...
                    X