• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this an expected norm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having little or no work to do sucks if you are high in the 'Conscientiousness' personality trait.

But if you are a slacker, who doesn't feel guilty when they don't do much work anyway, you will love these type of contracts.

Comment

Nice to hear that others are having the same issue. It is very frustrating to try and find things to do to keep busy. The project I am currently on has just been delayed for 3 months and nobody knows what's happening. We are trying to keep ourselves busy and I am setting up as many meetings as I can (although it's a race against them being canceled) and analysing as much as I can, but there's only so much you can do.

I guess NLUK is right in that you could always look for another contract. Or just learn some stuff or read or watch or... whatever works for you. But yes, it's not unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by kloos View Post
        Nice to hear that others are having the same issue. It is very frustrating to try and find things to do to keep busy. The project I am currently on has just been delayed for 3 months and nobody knows what's happening. We are trying to keep ourselves busy and I am setting up as many meetings as I can (although it's a race against them being canceled) and analysing as much as I can, but there's only so much you can do.

I guess NLUK is right in that you could always look for another contract. Or just learn some stuff or read or watch or... whatever works for you. But yes, it's not unusual.
        Yeah, it's a weird thing. You end up losing motivation to try and keep busy and achieving precisely nothing, which is never good. Mine has started to ramp a little bit, but I'm not one to make things up for too long, I lose the will to live. If I've done 5 days of work since the start of December I'd be surprised, and while that sounds like a winner, it's not doing me any good mentally.

Hope things pick up for you soon. Good luck.

Comment

Same here, not complaining though. You could offer to only bill for 2-3 days a week if you feel guilty; otherwise fill your boots.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
            Same here, not complaining though. You could offer to only bill for 2-3 days a week if you feel guilty; otherwise fill your boots.
            I offered to do that once at a big banking client I was with. I was laughed out of the room.

Irony is since Covid, I've been double (sometimes even triple) billing multiple clients each day to fill the gaps.

Comment

Working...
            X