• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£598.47/day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    this is very specific rate. Is that likely to be after the ER NICs have been deducted?
    I've played around in Excel, and I can't see any obvious cause for this in terms of taxes etc.

If the employee gets £2992.35/week as gross salary (£598.47 x 5), and they've opted out of pension auto-enrolment, that means that the umbrella would pay:
    * £14.96 for apprenticeship levy (0.5% of £2992.35)
    * £389.48 for employer's NI (13.8% of £2822.35, i.e. the amount that the gross salary exceeds the secondary threshold of £170/week)

That adds up to £3396.79/week, i.e. the umbrella would receive £679.36/day, which isn't a round number.

If the employee opted in for pension auto-enrolment then the pension earnings would be £847/week (i.e. £967 UEL minus £184 LEL), so the umbrella would contribute £25.41 (3% of £847). That would bring the total to £3422.20/week (£684.44/day), so it's still not a round number.

In practical terms, the umbrella would also charge their own margin (probably £15-20/week) but I think the agency could justify omitting that from the calculation if they don't know which umbrella you'll use. Also, I'd expect that to be a vaguely round number.

Taking this from the opposite direction, suppose that the umbrella gets £2992.35/week, how much would the employee's gross salary be? That involves a bit of trial and error, but if I assume that they've opted out of pension autoenrolment and if we ignore the umbrella's margin again, the magic number seems to be £2638.51/week. Add on £13.19 for apprenticeship levy (0.5% of £2638.51) and £340.65 for employer's NI (13.8% of £2468.51), and that brings us back to £2992.35. However, £2638.51/week is about £527.70/day (+ an extra penny somewhere), which still isn't a round number.

I'd guess that they started out with a round number a few years ago, then they've gradually increased it in line with inflation (or similar), and that's why it looks like a weird figure now.

Comment

Working...
    X