• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension contribution % at IB vs hedge funds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension contribution % at IB vs hedge funds

It's been a while since I was a permie but what are the typical pension contribution rates at tier 1 IB these days and US hedge funds?

I was at RBS in 2006 where they contributed 13% into your pension.
    In 2008 I was at Barclays where their contribution was 10%.

I've been applying for permie roles and expecting to get two offers - IB in Canary Wharf and a hedge fund. I'm in my mid-40's so pension contribution is high on my list.

No idea on the hedge fund pension contribution but I've seen rates around 3% in financial services (non-IB) so have no idea on the going rates at hedge funds. I hope this is not typical as its abysmal.

Anyone have any recent experience on pension contribution rates, would love to hear.

It depends on what that firm thinks is enough.

so it may be little or it may be 80% of your salary (which is roughly what the Bank of England offers from distant memory).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
      It's been a while since I was a permie but what are the typical pension contribution rates at tier 1 IB these days and US hedge funds?

I was at RBS in 2006 where they contributed 13% into your pension.
      In 2008 I was at Barclays where their contribution was 10%.

I've been applying for permie roles and expecting to get two offers - IB in Canary Wharf and a hedge fund. I'm in my mid-40's so pension contribution is high on my list.

No idea on the hedge fund pension contribution but I've seen rates around 3% in financial services (non-IB) so have no idea on the going rates at hedge funds. I hope this is not typical as its abysmal.

Anyone have any recent experience on pension contribution rates, would love to hear.

Deutsche offered a flat 11% for a perm position (which I declined) - it used to be 20% at my age.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Deutsche offered a flat 11% for a perm position (which I declined) - it used to be 20% at my age.
        20% is very geneous, that's awesome.

Are you saying the employer pension contribution varies with age, the older you are, the more generous the employer's input?

Comment

20% is very geneous, that's awesome.

Are you saying the employer pension contribution varies with age, the older you are, the more generous the employer's input?
          Which part of used did you not grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Which part of used did you not grasp.
            it used to be 20% at my age

Comment

it used to be 20% at my age
              Yes it used to be the case that percentages differed with the age of the employee but it’s no longer the case.

Comment

Currently employers 10.8% at an investment management firm in the city, no matching of any employee contribution: just 10.8% and you can throw in what you want.

I know of another investment management firm that makes a 16% monthly contribution and matches these contributions up to 2% as well as make an additional contribution equal to 10% of the monthly amount you pay. So if you paid 2% of your salary into your pension each month, you’d receive a contribution from the company of 18.2% on top of that.
                Last edited by DelboyTrotter; 27 October 2021, 19:38.

Comment

I just took a role back in London now. Financial services. Salary is high as perm but pension is 3% from employer!

Comment

Originally posted by DelboyTrotter View Post
                    I know of another investment management firm that makes a 16% monthly contribution
                    Sounds generous, but is it really a "contribution" or is it just the employer's NI that they no longer have to pay? I think the maths for what they pay in NI (13.8%) with respect to your salary would work out at nearly bang on 16%.

Comment

Working...
                    X