• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CTC to SC Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTC to SC Clearance

Hi everyone,

Would like some people's opinion on the above.

I was Granted CTC clearance a few years back with a fully disclosed conviction from 2009.

No further convictions since then..Those days are long gone thank god.

I'm currently going through SC clearance for the same employer but slightly more sensitive material hence the need for higher clearance.

In terms of my Credit History, I have a CCJ from 10 years ago which was satisfied about 6 years ago. I've declared this on the SC form.

Other than that, no defaults or other credit issues.

My Experian credit score is actually sitting at over 850.

I have a few questions...

Will having a current CTC help towards the acquisition of SC given that I have not made no further mistakes since 2009 and the fact that I've already had CTC granted?

In terms of Credit History, the CCJ from 10 years ago was settled a few later...I did have one loan default from 2008-2009, however I did not include that as it was well over 10 years ago. Will that be held against me, given that the question asks for defaults within the last 10 years?

Finally, before submitting my SC application I thoroughly checked my Credit Report through CheckMyFile.com which showed no adverse records/information within the last 6 years...I assume that this is the same platform of information that the vetting people check anyway? I ask this because I cannot for the life of me think of any other adverse information within the last 10 years against me...I was worried in case the vetting people were able to see more information from Experian that my report shows...And obviously, if I can't see it and remember any of it from 10+ years ago I don't want to look like I was trying to withhold information.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Last edited by JoshUk; 3 October 2021, 17:11.

If only we had a sticky at the top of this very thread titled Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions that answers the question many times over.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Was just about to share the same link.

All you can do is tell the truth and assume they already know the answer to every question you're going to be asked.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I'm aware of the sticky.

I'm just asking people's views for information that's not on the sticky...Unless I've completely missed it..

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JoshUk View Post
          Thanks for the responses.

I'm aware of the sticky.

I'm just asking people's views for information that's not on the sticky...Unless I've completely missed it..

Thanks
          The information is generic and the same for every single question like this. We don't know the answer, the process is secret and if we did know it it would be open for manipulation. The answer is as LM says.

All you can do is tell the truth and assume they already know the answer to every question you're going to be asked.
          Nothing else we can add really. Oh, maybe the point that you can bet your bottom dollar the vetting people see much more than you do and I am sure they don't use checkmyfile to do a credit check.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks again for your responses everyone.

That's the thing, you see... I'm 99.9% confident that I have no defaults or adverse credit history after 2010, apart from that CCJ that I mentioned earlier which I've disclosed anyway.

And, if the vetting people are able to see a lot more than the typical full Experian Report from CheckmyFile, I wonder then if they are able to see defaults dated pre 2010?
            ​​​​​
            With regards to having CTC clearance...Does it help at all when it comes to getting SC? Again, just wanted to see peoples' opinion that may have gone through similar.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks again for your responses everyone.

That's the thing, you see... I'm 99.9% confident that I have no defaults or adverse credit history after 2010, apart from that CCJ that I mentioned earlier which I've disclosed anyway.

And, if the vetting people are able to see a lot more than the typical full Experian Report from CheckmyFile, I wonder then if they are able to see defaults dated pre 2010?
              ​​​​​
              With regards to having CTC clearance...Does it help at all when it comes to getting SC? Again, just wanted to see peoples' opinion that may have gone through similar.

Thanks
              How many more times...

We Don't Know!!! It depends on what they are vetting you for. It's a risk assessment for a specific purpose for a specific role. Without knowing the criteria, the role in question and a lot of other details (most of which are classified), nobody outside the vetting agency and the local SSO will have any idea of what is or isn't relevant.

So the answer stands, as per the sticky. Fill in the forms and wait to see what happens.

And CTC means nothing in this context beyond they know who you are. I've had active SC and still had to go through clearance for a different SC role.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Ok, understood everyone.

Thanks again for your responses.

No disrespect to anyone but I feel that I won't be posting again on this forum.

I appreciate there is a sticky on this subject, and I have read it and a loads of the responses on it.

I did not feel that there was much information on regarding my situation which is why I was asking peoples' opinions/views on it.

Some of the responses to my questions were very hostile. But, hey ho...You live and learn I suppose.
                ​​​​
                ​​Take care everyone.
                ​​​

Comment

Ok, understood everyone.

Thanks again for your responses.

No disrespect to anyone but I feel that I won't be posting again on this forum.

I appreciate there is a sticky on this subject, and I have read it and a loads of the responses on it.

I did not feel that there was much information on regarding my situation which is why I was asking peoples' opinions/views on it.

Some of the responses to my questions were very hostile. But, hey ho...You live and learn I suppose.
                  ​​​​
                  ​​Take care everyone.
                  ​​​
                  Actually, the answer is there in the sticky. "Answer the questions, you can't second guess the process".

As for hostile , this exact same question turns up at least once a month. After a few years giving the same "We have no idea" answer, it gets a little wearing.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If it makes you feel better, I had an active IVA while going through an SC application once and it got granted.

Comment

Working...
                    X