• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV length nowadays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Is CV length such a thing since they started getting sent electronically?
    Bearing in mind they've been sent electronically for well over 10 years and we are still discussing CV length you'd guess that's still a yes.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Someone still has to read them... (in theory, not that you'd notice with some agents)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I remember having a one page CV. I was just about to leave school for my first job in the big wide world.
        I somehow managed to have a 2-page CV when I first left school. Not that I had a warchest of qualifications or was particularly big on extra-curricular activities, just that my dad's CV was 2-pages so I thought mine should be... **** knows what I filled it with!

I still keep my CV to 2 pages now 20-odd years later, although fortunately have a little bit more to say - very focused on specifics around what I delivered for contracts in last 4 years, brief profile, and summary of prior experience. Sometimes, I wonder if that's too long in today's distracted, iPhone-generation, 2-second-attention-span world.

Comment

CV?
          Sounds like people want an employee if they're asking for CV's... When asked, I give them a company prospectus which includes my bio. In addition, as a separate file, I'll send a few relevant examples of past projects (selected according to the client requirement). I'm in the middle of re-writing it all at this minute.
          It gets some push back, but the agents who really understand contracting know...

Comment

Originally posted by velcro View Post
            CV?
            Sounds like people want an employee if they're asking for CV's... When asked, I give them a company prospectus which includes my bio. In addition, as a separate file, I'll send a few relevant examples of past projects (selected according to the client requirement). I'm in the middle of re-writing it all at this minute.
            It gets some push back, but the agents who really understand contracting know...
            It just works. It's a document of skills and experience that everyone can understand and has been the way for like forever. If it works why change it? There are new methods coming out to suit some roles and people with visions of the future but while the system needs a short, succinct list of skills and experience then it works. Call it what you will, the doc still does the job.

The fact you get push back and only some agents that understand contracting knows your doc is that not limiting your coverage? It might be progressive and cool but if it's causing blockers then that's not the best approach as much as you hate CV's surely?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes because someone has to read it
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It just works. It's a document of skills and experience that everyone can understand and has been the way for like forever. If it works why change it? There are new methods coming out to suit some roles and people with visions of the future but while the system needs a short, succinct list of skills and experience then it works. Call it what you will, the doc still does the job.

The fact you get push back and only some agents that understand contracting knows your doc is that not limiting your coverage? It might be progressive and cool but if it's causing blockers then that's not the best approach as much as you hate CV's surely?
                Yes, it does limit the coverage, but it does so in a positive way. It removes those agents and clients who really wanted an Inside IR35 person. Those who want an Outside contractor appreciate it. There's more push back from agents than clients, as generally clients are used to receiving company prospectus from suppliers of soft services. (Even better, its got me contracts direct with clients, cutting out an agent).
                The info I give is effectively the same as a CV just in different format, and I get to tailor the past project examples. I can go into greater depth on those that are most relevant.
                I used to send out a CV which went way over two pages (I think I've gone up to eight in the past!), which when you've got twenty odd years of contracting still barely goes into any detail. Agents didn't like that CV. I tried cutting it down in size, but it was no good.
                This way works much better, and just in case HMRC ever come knocking it may stand me in good stead.

Comment

Originally posted by velcro View Post

Yes, it does limit the coverage, but it does so in a positive way. It removes those agents and clients who really wanted an Inside IR35 person. Those who want an Outside contractor appreciate it. There's more push back from agents than clients, as generally clients are used to receiving company prospectus from suppliers of soft services. (Even better, its got me contracts direct with clients, cutting out an agent).
                  The info I give is effectively the same as a CV just in different format, and I get to tailor the past project examples. I can go into greater depth on those that are most relevant.
                  I used to send out a CV which went way over two pages (I think I've gone up to eight in the past!), which when you've got twenty odd years of contracting still barely goes into any detail. Agents didn't like that CV. I tried cutting it down in size, but it was no good.
                  This way works much better, and just in case HMRC ever come knocking it may stand me in good stead.
                  The long and the short of it is although the market and contracting may have changed, hiring managers have not and they expect a CV to be able to compare candidates.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Someone still has to read them... (in theory, not that you'd notice with some agents)
                    I always imagine they don't get past the first page regardless of how long it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

The long and the short of it is although the market and contracting may have changed, hiring managers have not and they expect a CV to be able to compare candidates.
                      Ah well, I find it works for me and I know I'm not the only contractor in my field doing this. Whatever works, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X