• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving contract early

Considering bailing on a contract I've just started.

Aside from various run of the mill starting issues - delayed start date, access etc, the work that the client has lined me up for is very different to what was outlined in the statement of work (development vs 3rd Line support dev). Whilst I could quite easily do the work (given time) and the people there are nice, I'm mindful of keeping my skills sharp and securing further contracts down the line.

I raised this issue with agent and apparently the client is going to produce an amended SOW from the one I signed in the contract to actually reflect the current engagement I'm in and provide the SDS for it (which could then become inside). Reading in-between the lines I think another contractor got there before me and I’ve just been plonked into the next thing they need help with. Not happy with this - I would have not pursued the contract as it has turned out to be.

So the question for me is timing - do I wait to the end of month - get something else lined up - get my timesheet approved then serve notice or do it now?

I just feel the longer I leave it the more awkward it all becomes and the more time the client wastes “onboarding” me? I suppose conversely the risk of me serving notice tomorrow is that I might not get paid for the days I have worked (albeit the client won’t have derived much value from what I’ve done so far). As an aside the termination notice period on the contract is 30 days but I should imagine there would zero chance they would want me to actually do that.

Work doesn't match the statement of work - so you should be politely refusing to do it.

Start searching and leave ASAP (personally I would be leaving now as I have money but can see why you might prefer not to).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm with. eek on this.
      leave now. Just bill for the handful of days it took you so far.

The client is likely going to appreciate the fact you haven't just rinsed them for weeks and been straight up front.
      You never know, the other contractor might be a dud and they get rid if him and you get the role you were engaged for. They at least know at this point you'd rather leave than waste their money.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Your situation sounds exactly the same as mine! Read my thread "I hate my contract" as well.

Serve them notice, be honest and say it's not for you. I'm in the middle of the same battle with my client but they are keeping me on. I'm rinsing my client as it was their cock up and not mine. I had delayed start, JD different to my expectations. My plan is to service notice to them at the end of the month, then serve my 4 weeks notice (possible with stress related illness in the last 2 weeks) and I'll take a proper holiday somewhere. At the same time I'm all over the pimps....

100% get your CV out, now is a good time to find a replacement gig, later in the year is always harder, December - Feb I usually find hardly any gigs.

But remember, be polite with them. Yes it's gone pear shaped, but MAKE SURE you get your timesheet approved.

They might let you go early on the basis they don't want a contractor onsite who doesn't want to be there.

This frustrates me no end, as all of the research for a new contract, pimp engagement, interview process, onboarding takes time & money as well, along with the stress when the role doesn't turn out as expected.

Comment

Send a substitute to do it for you?
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
          X