• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First days of a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First days of a contract

Morning all, new to the forum, but not to contracting.

started a new contract (inside IR35) last Monday (6th), but have not received laptop etc. yet, so unable to actually start any work, been sat here waiting on it.

previous contracts have paid for these days, normally there is a delay due to logins, VPNs etc., but this client is saying that as I couldn't login I can't bill for the time?

is this right? as I am now short a weeks salary, through no fault of my own, I have offered to use my own equipment until it arrives, but that isn't "allowed"

what are you experience of "run in" days?

thanks

In this case I would be doing on to them what they have done to you.

Which is keep looking, start work as soon as the laptop arrives and leave them as soon as you get another contract.

Their delays, especially if not highlighted in advance are their problem and not yours. Were this me I would be billing them for delays due to things clearly within their control.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      In this case I would be doing on to them what they have done to you.

Which is keep looking, start work as soon as the laptop arrives and leave them as soon as you get another contract.

Their delays, especially if not highlighted in advance are their problem and not yours. Were this me I would be billing them for delays due to things clearly within their control.
      thanks Eek, this was my think as well, they took ages to get things sorted, including things like compliance, DBS checks, took total of 2 months from offer to start date, so equipment requirement wasn't a surprise!

Comment

Not uncommon but in the old days you were actually in the office so could get someone to print stuff off and you could sit there and read it for a couple of days. Can think of at least two occasions I've done this. One was nearly two weeks before it turned up. You are on site so you can bill. Looks like this is a bit of fall out from the new WFH work style I am afraid. Pretty harsh by the client not to pay but it's in the contract. It's the bit about getting paid upon the receipt of a signed timesheet. You do work you get paid, you don't so you don't.

I'd also put an invoice in as Eek says but I'd be fully expecting not to be paid

Very frustrating but part and parcel of contracting I am afraid.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Very frustrating but part and parcel of contracting I am afraid.
          You also need to remember the first rule of contracting - don't stop looking until your feet are under the desk (and others would say until the first invoice has been paid).

Comment

thanks folks, putting in a timesheet for the days, and will see if they sign it off, but not holding my breath

Comment

If they ask why you are billing just say - waiting for delivery of laptop as you were not told that it wasn't going to be delivered / were not required that day.

As it is an inside IR35 contract I would be playing the Supervision, direction and control card and point out that because they failed to say you weren't needed last week you were available. The fact you had nothing to do was a management issue at the clients end.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                If they ask why you are billing just say - waiting for delivery of laptop as you were not told that it wasn't going to be delivered / were not required that day.

As it is an inside IR35 contract I would be playing the Supervision, direction and control card and point out that because they failed to say you weren't needed last week you were available. The fact you had nothing to do was a management issue at the clients end.

thanks, they have apologised for the delay, but at the end of the day that doesn't pay my mortgage!

Comment

Originally posted by thesarge View Post

thanks, they have apologised for the delay, but at the end of the day that doesn't pay my mortgage!
                  If there is a delay in shipping, is it possible for you to go to their office to pick it up? Show initiative/desire, puts more pressure on them.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

If there is a delay in shipping, is it possible for you to go to their office to pick it up? Show initiative/desire, puts more pressure on them.
                    it is being shipped by a 3rd party supplier, so no way to speed it up, I have asked what i can do that doesn't require their kit, but they have said to wait until it arrives.

Comment

Working...
                    X