• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract after 6 weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving contract after 6 weeks

Has anyone ever left a contract as a result of disorganisation amongst the development team? Reason I ask is that I took a contract 6 weeks ago and the domain is a completely new area for me which involves me needing to understand a lot about the hardware. The issue I have is that the vast majority of the team who had the knowledge have either left or have gone on paternity and I hate to admit it, but I feel like I've been chucked in the Atlantic without a life jacket.

I have subsequently secured another contract role, but I do feel rather ashamed that I am about to jump ship feeling like I have delivered nothing and have just spent my time trying to get my head around existing software and hardware.

Are people honest and upfront when explaining their motivations or do you simply just say you are moving on?

Of course people do. At least I have done it couple of times. I have even left a role in couple of hours (Southend-on-sea), because I didn't like it. I was honest and straight forward in telling them that I didn't like the role or I didn't have necessary skills to do the job. Client's liked that honesty. Although I felt ashamed, I was happy and satisfied for not pretending. On few occasions I didn't invoice the client as I didn't deliver anything. Well, that's me, others may have different approaches.

Comment

If remote role just do both contracts

Comment

There is no shame in realising a job isn't for you and leaving. You've done the hard part and got something else lined up so just serve notice and go.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with the client so if they ask why you're leaving you can let them know you don't feel comfortable not being able to deliver what they need.

It's something that they may well appreciate and could lead to more work in the future because you've proved yourself to be someone of integrity. Can't promise that bit of course but contracting is just as much about building good relationships as it is about delivering.

Comment

It's better to go now, and be honest about it, than to drag it out.

Just make sure you don't make a habit of it.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            It's better to go now, and be honest about it, than to drag it out.

Just make sure you don't make a habit of it.
            This is true. Agents and clients get wary when they see lots of short gigs, even though it's perfectly legit to only be needed on some projects for a short period of time. They think a lack of long contracts is a bad sign. I remember hearing that some banks felt that contractors who spent less than 18 months at each previous client wasn't worth talking to as it was a sign they weren't any good

Comment

Interesting that you blame the client's disorganisation for you being unable to do the job due to lack of knowledge.....

But if you cannot do it then you are better leaving. But have an open discussion with them about it. If the role wasn't specced correctly they need to know that. And if there are skills needed they weren't aware of they need to know that as well.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks all. I'll have the conversation now.

Comment

I left a contract after 4 days because they lied to me about the job, i still invoiced them and they actually paid me. Left another contract after 2.5 months but they didn't renew my initial 3 months so I don't feel i did anything wrong there either as my contract was about to expire and they hadn't talked to me yet. Those are the only ones I've left early.

But ya just talk to them, have you put an invoice in yet? I'd probably try to make sure I had that first months invoice in and paid ideally before letting them know but depending on timing that might not be possible.
                  ​​

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    Left another contract after 2.5 months but they didn't renew my initial 3 months so I don't feel i did anything wrong there either as my contract was about to expire and they hadn't talked to me yet. ​
                    Conversations, in business and in life, are two-way. If you always expect one side to do the talking then it's a monologue, not a discussion.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X