• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

150k perm or 1000p/d inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobmcbob View Post
    Thanks all, really useful points. The perm gig is 150 base + 20% bonus. Also + 10% employee contrib pension, so is ~195k cash/pension+ 25 days hols, medical insurance etc...

outside Its around 220k, but minus out the 10% pension it’s almost the same. With no expenses etc then not as advantageous as I thought.
    Both roles will be quite political and I don’t see much actual difference, given what I do in banking, and the hours will be long regardless!!

I think I will come down to my personal preference... going to see what kind of joining bonus can factor in, and that might just sway me.

thanks,
    Bob
    That changes things if it is 150 base plus 20% bonus plus 10% pension - the perm position wins - There are always sick days to take into account and generally being perm is safer but not by much. Are both roles in big corps? If yes the perm wins

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Probably would lean inside personally just because you can bill for any extra days/time worked. How does it work in banking with notice period? If it's like 6 months and they won't pay you out then that's another reason to go inside. If they will just pay you out for it, then maybe it's a reason to go perm.

The reason I say that is important is I think there is a very high likelihood that you will leave in 1-2 years. Just from burn out and being former contractor.
      Banking normally one month notice which is the same as contracting at banks - Very unlikely you get garden leave in both

Comment

What happens in year 2? What kind of gig will you be able to get next? Is 1k a day inside your normal rate or is that quite exceptional? So it looks like the Inside gig might edge out the perm gig in year 1... but what about years 2, 3 4 and onwards?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The perm offer is a 6-month notice period, after the 3 months of probation. In my last perm (very political horrid broker) I was put in the garden, then they tried to dismiss me for some BS to avoid paying the full amount (I’d been there under 2 years with no rights still).

Notice means not a lot to these types of firms (under 2 years anyway), only when it suits them, that’s one of the reasons why I was initially leaning toward the contract.

my usual rates have been 750-850 outside, I’ve also had perm roles at 130. The perm offer does look somewhat better this time, also I’m at the point where I will value the paid days off.

Thanks,
          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobmcbob View Post
            The perm offer is a 6-month notice period, after the 3 months of probation. In my last perm (very political horrid broker) I was put in the garden, then they tried to dismiss me for some BS to avoid paying the full amount (I’d been there under 2 years with no rights still).

Notice means not a lot to these types of firms (under 2 years anyway), only when it suits them, that’s one of the reasons why I was initially leaning toward the contract.

my usual rates have been 750-850 outside, I’ve also had perm roles at 130. The perm offer does look somewhat better this time, also I’m at the point where I will value the paid days off.

Thanks,
            Bob
            Notice means even less in a contract don't forget.

Comment

I had a similar decision, also in financial services - not quoting numbers though. Went perm three months ago, no regrets. You can always go back out there and at that level you're a money machine in bonuses and benefits.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

was in similar position and ended up taking perm as I had just completed MVL for my company and wanted a safety net for two years. Only additional detail to look out is the bonus %. AFAIK if you are in financial services none of these firms commit to % of bonus in contract. in my case bonus was not mentioned in the contract

Comment

Is it just me or have salaries really gone up - In the past (2010) I think a lot of people in finance thought of 100K as the magic number whereas now it seems quite a few people have reached 150K and it seems more normal. So is 150K the new 100K and are these jobs paying that as common as I think they are

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                    Is it just me or have salaries really gone up - In the past (2010) I think a lot of people in finance thought of 100K as the magic number whereas now it seems quite a few people have reached 150K and it seems more normal. So is 150K the new 100K and are these jobs paying that as common as I think they are
                    Comparing salaries from over 10 years ago isn't really that much help as a comparison. The types of roles have changed in that period as well so not even a level playing field.

Comment

Sorry if I missed it, but what's your preference in terms of being part of a company, long term retention, career, etc? Is there a progression beyond this role or is this what you do and will continue doing for the forseeable?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X