• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to find average salary for role and location

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    There are also several IT salary and contractor rate surveys published each year by the likes of Hays and Robert Half. Some have data by region/size of company.

Usually you need to have some relationship with the agency e.g. have hired staff to be able to get a free copy.
    I wouldn't trust anything coming from an agent. Especially when it is related to rates.

"Truth is a good option to fall back upon" is a saying that says a lot about the sales people...

Maybe if it is an internal memo but that I doubt people have access to. Also market changes every few months, it might not have the latest trends.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I wouldn't trust anything coming from an agent. Especially when it is related to rates.

"Truth is a good option to fall back upon" is a saying that says a lot about the sales people...

Maybe if it is an internal memo but that I doubt people have access to. Also market changes every few months, it might not have the latest trends.
      I use the publications for what they are - guides, and in my experience they are a good starting point. I would place more value on the data than that found on a job board. There are so many factors affecting a salary, you ideally need a few sources and even using several will only give you a range.

The other main challenge is that salary only makes up a proportion of your total package and the higher up you go, especially in big companies, the lower the salary is as a proportion of your total package. As far as I know, surveys don't usually mention the non-salary parts like pension, bonus, company car etc.

For perm jobs, the better headhunters are usually quite good at telling you what the market rate is and more specifically what your likely worth is.
      Last edited by edison; 28 May 2021, 14:54.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Robert Half salary guide is pretty good. It doesn't obviously account for any niche skills but I think Robert Half's salary guide is more accurate than those websites that were posted. I haven't looked at Hays so can't comment on that.

Comment

Where can this Robert hall guide be found exactly please?

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
            ask LondonPM1

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
              https://www.roberthalf.co.uk/salary-guide

Comment

Working...
              X