• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract - Deliverable Dates in SoW

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contract - Deliverable Dates in SoW

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice please.

I have been offered a new short-term contract (until the end of July) with a public sector body on a high profile piece of work which is really exciting but having received the contract the deliverable dates in the SoW have all lapsed.

I have asked the agency to update the contract which were reluctant to as they said the work was agreed with the end client, but my argument is that how can I sign a contract with deliverable dates that I can't meet. They have now said they will speak to the end client in the morning to see if they can update the SoW.

Am I being a pain in the backside or doing the right thing?

As a contractor all you need to do is get your timesheets signed and invoice for the work, the rest will take care of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
      As a contractor all you need to do is get your timesheets signed and invoice for the work, the rest will take care of itself.
      Not if things are based on a statement of work and the deliverables are not delivered on the expected dates
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyPigeon View Post
        Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice please.

I have been offered a new short-term contract (until the end of July) with a public sector body on a high profile piece of work which is really exciting but having received the contract the deliverable dates in the SoW have all lapsed.

I have asked the agency to update the contract which were reluctant to as they said the work was agreed with the end client, but my argument is that how can I sign a contract with deliverable dates that I can't meet. They have now said they will speak to the end client in the morning to see if they can update the SoW.

Am I being a pain in the backside or doing the right thing?
        Both
        It's the right thing, but it will make pain for them. They need to get it right though so you are helping them by being professional.

Ignore this..... It's the reason we have the current problems.
        A permitetractor only thinks about timesheets and invoices.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hey Kryton, it's 2020 on the phone. Can they have their out of date advice back please?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Hey Kryton, it's 2020 on the phone. Can they have their out of date advice back please?
            We're talking about a public sector gig. The SoW is just a box ticking exercise. If it was anything more, they would have at the very least updated the deliverable dates to be after the contract start date.

Comment

We're talking about a public sector gig. The SoW is just a box ticking exercise. If it was anything more, they would have at the very least updated the deliverable dates to be after the contract start date.
              Are you working on this project - if not you are merely making assumptions
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Are you working on this project - if not you are merely making assumptions
                Yes, I'm making assumptions the SoW is purely box ticking, however I think FunkyPigeon has done the right thing requesting the SoW gets updated. For a public sector client, I may have left discussions around updating the SoW until after starting, if it ever got brought up. At least then it's easier to have conversations about deliverable dates instead of having them pre-set before you've even looked at the project.

Comment

You are signing a contract that opens you to litigation. Unless it is quite obvious that the timeline can’t be met or they absolve you of the legal responsability I personally would not touch it.
                  Don’t think your insurance would cover this as well if it comes to it and you mention that you signed with full knowledge it could not be delivered.
                  It is absurd I am afraid.

Comment

What does the contract say what happens if you don't meet the delivery dates?

Comment

Working...
                    X