• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to contract in Ireland / Dublin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to contract in Ireland / Dublin

Hi All

Just looking for the best way to contract in Republic of Ireland.

I've been offered a contract in Dublin but will have to work remotely in UK til travel is allowed and then maybe 2 or 3 days a week in Ireland.

Agency is pushing me to get a UK umbrella which will put me in all the tax brackets and don't want me to use a UK LTD as they may potentially get an IR35 charge transferred to them with them also having a London branch . They are also saying there won't be any irish tax liabilities until I have spent 60 days total in Ireland after I start travelling. Umbrella is obviously not the most tax efficient and I was always told that if you contract in Europe then IR35 is not in play.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts would be appreciated. Spoken to 3 or 4 different accountants and they all have different views so is becoming confusing as below;
    1. UK Ltd with Irish subsidiary - pay for accountants & split taxes on both sides
    2. Irish Umbrella
    3. UK International Umbrella
    Any recommendations on umbrella companies that could facilitate this if that is the best route also welcome

Many Thanks in Advance

Do a search using the google search method. This has been covered endlessly.

Contract ireland site:contranctoruk.com/forums

Change the keywords at the front a little other suitable terms.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Do a search using the google search method. This has been covered endlessly.

Contract ireland site:contranctoruk.com/forums

Change the keywords at the front a little other suitable terms.
      it's back to forums.contractoruk.com now...

Comment

Originally posted by RajaStyle View Post
        Hi All

Just looking for the best way to contract in Republic of Ireland.

I've been offered a contract in Dublin but will have to work remotely in UK til travel is allowed and then maybe 2 or 3 days a week in Ireland.

Agency is pushing me to get a UK umbrella which will put me in all the tax brackets and don't want me to use a UK LTD as they may potentially get an IR35 charge transferred to them with them also having a London branch . They are also saying there won't be any irish tax liabilities until I have spent 60 days total in Ireland after I start travelling. Umbrella is obviously not the most tax efficient and I was always told that if you contract in Europe then IR35 is not in play.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts would be appreciated. Spoken to 3 or 4 different accountants and they all have different views so is becoming confusing as below;
        1. UK Ltd with Irish subsidiary - pay for accountants & split taxes on both sides
        2. Irish Umbrella
        3. UK International Umbrella
        Any recommendations on umbrella companies that could facilitate this if that is the best route also welcome

Many Thanks in Advance

just finished a gig in the old sod last week, 9 months fintech, not bad, not great, but then again there's a global thing going on...........

Key points, Remote, Irish Umbrella Director, paid in EU, Paid Irish Tax, no UK ltd involvement as it's just a mess normally, but now with EU/Brexit/IR35 you'd want to have rocks in your head - suggest wait until it quietens down in next 6-12 (if at all).

Since you will be in UK and liable for UK tax, Using a UK umbrella will *definitely* be tricky to transfer once you decide (if) to move to ireland, but reading between the lines your lifecycle on this gig is likely to be UK umbrella for foreseeable , if things improve and you don't want to travel, just get another gig in UK

Avg initial claims, relocation (for 3 months only) , small business relief , UK broadband/Mobile + some subscriptions allowed, training always seems to be an issue, so a 99.99 udemy or courser is ok, but apparently a 600-800 agile Safe is not , go figure.

It's a different country, so don't expect Laaaaandon work practices, plenty of economic refugee contractors there (quite a few from the city, good tech disciplines) good bunch, Irish leadership (I am Irish - left 2 decades ago) is still stagnant to some extent so don't expect remote working practices to be different - middle management simply don't know what to do with themselves, so pointless meetings are legion, but then again having said. that plenty of that in Uk and elsewhere. (Oz was probably the worst for the middle mgt pointless meeting)

won't post the name of my umbrella unless mods advise otherwise, feel free to pm me and I can answer any queries, I think old greg is in irl too, but I think he might be permit, he helped me quite a lot last year in moving.

finally, check yourself, don't believe a word the agent says. honestly.

oh, and umbrella pay weekly, accept no substitutes
        cheers
        P

Comment

Happy to let you post the name of the umbrella, barely_pointless.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
          X