• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BELGIAN CLIENT (Not NATO) - any difference?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BELGIAN CLIENT (Not NATO) - any difference?

Hello - is there any issues while working part time remotely / part time on site for Belgian Client (EU Agency) - - using my UK LTD? I found some information on a forum but it was mainly related to NATO - this is not NATO client so what the scheme in this case? Can I work through my UK paying tax in UK not Belgium (basically I dont even want to register in Belgium). They say I can work remotely for some time, but there will be time when I will have to come on site.

You pay tax where you work. If you are going to Belgium for business meetings then that's fine. If you're working there, you end up being liable for tax in the UK and Belgium. The more time you spend in Belgium, the more likely tax is due there.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Also, remember post Brexit limits for travelling to EU countries. You can also only travel for meetings, not work. Unless of course you have an EU passport.

Nothwithstanding the current rules which mean 10 days of quarantine when returning.

Comment

Thanks for answers. From what I heard from acc yesterday - as long as you stay <183 days as an employer of your own LTD u pay tax in UK , then if you stay longer you will have to pay in Belgium, being considered tax resident.

Comment

Originally posted by shabak View Post
          Thanks for answers. From what I heard from acc yesterday - as long as you stay <183 days as an employer of your own LTD u pay tax in UK , then if you stay longer you will have to pay in Belgium, being considered tax resident.
          Get a better accountant. Or, more correctly, don't ask your accountant. Do you ask your electrician about plumbing? No, then don't ask your accountant about cross-border taxation.

What's an "employer of your own Ltd"? If your accountant used those words... good luck

Comment

What is it with people who won't spell words out in full?

It's more complex than that.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I mean that as a director (working for my own LTD) I am being sent by my company to Belgium. So whats the story? Can I work or not and pay taxes in UK or how does it look?

Comment

I mean that as a director (working for my own LTD) I am being sent by my company to Belgium. So whats the story? Can I work or not and pay taxes in UK or how does it look?
                Which part of this is difficult

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                It's more complex than that.
                This is not a yes or no question - it really does depend on the type of engagement, for how long etc. You need professional advice on this.

Comment

Here's the mile-high view from I-PAYE:

http://i-paye.com/wp-content/uploads...m-Employee.pdf

If you want proper advice, speak to Sue B, formerly of IPAYE:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...umstances.html

Q. I currently work on a project in the United Kingdom through a PSC and have an assignment in Belgium͕ is it true that I can operate the same model in Belgium?

A. Under Belgium Domestic Law a UK PSC may be considered as having a Permanent Establishment in Belgium which means that all income derived by the business will be subject to Belgium Taxation. No matter the taxation position of the company any employment income paid in respect of duties performed in Belgium will be subject to Belgium Taxation and Social Security from day 1. In addition any dividends payable to shareholders will be subject to Belgium Dividend Taxation either at resident or non-resident rates.

Q. What happens if I choose to ignore the rules?

A. Belgium Mutual Assistance Recovery Directive (MARD) to request the UK and other Tax Authorities to collect any unpaid moneys due. From 1 October 2017 new legislation has been enacted in the United Kingdom that means that any entity engaging in or with business that evade taxation in a Foreign Country will be subject to an unlimited fine. Failing to report income to the Belgium Authorities is Tax Evasion, not avoidance, and under Belgium Law would generally lead to a criminal conviction.

Comment

Thanks! I shall contact her and ask more details! I appreciate all the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X