• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting line managers to think the right way about contract renewals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CalmEddie View Post
    I know I have a low post count but I've been contracting for 19 years. These days I report to directors.
    No you don't. Permies report to directors.
    * line manager. Or whatever.
    You appear to find it a bit of a joke or something. How are you supposed to educate them on what they need to do and act when you don't know yoursef? If you can think and act in a certain way, including terminology everything will be much easier.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If I am being honest other than doing your job well there isn't that much you can do unless they have completely forgotten your end date. Generally speaking I have either gone when the project has finished or when someone decides they don't want to pay you anymore. In either instance no amount of niche skills or smooth talking are going to make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        It's a multi-pronged approach to getting clients to think better about how to manage contractors.

I'd firstly say they should take the engagement out of HR's hands and give to procurement, and then give training to managers on the difference between a contractor vs a temp vs a permie / FTC and scenarios each works best in.

There's anecdotes galore, I'm sure. Being told you have to contribute to the tea and biscuit fund, getting invited on teambuilding days out, etc
        Maybe if PCG / IPSE had focused on getting privat sector companies on board by pushing for benefits for disguised employees. then clients could well have thought better about managing contractors a long time ago...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          No you don't. Permies report to directors.
          I can't keep up with your preferred lexicon. Definition of report? of contractor? Which is it this time?

Well before you take away my contractor card because I'm inside IR35, there is no problem with me reporting to anyone or in fact having people report to me.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post

Maybe if PCG / IPSE had focused on getting privat sector companies on board by pushing for benefits for disguised employees. then clients could well have thought better about managing contractors a long time ago...
            The trouble with benefits is that they are provided by the company and don't fit the "same work = same tax" mantra that HMRC were touting.

Now, if were to look at employee rights and push for those to be given to disguised employees...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The trouble with benefits is that they are provided by the company and don't fit the "same work = same tax" mantra that HMRC were touting.

Now, if were to look at employee rights and push for those to be given to disguised employees...
              Oh that will come - otherwise the medium term viewpoint is that everyone will be employed by umbrella companies
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
              X