• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

caught in IR35, recruitment agency role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

caught in IR35, recruitment agency role?

Hello, everyone!

I am a contractor. Before IR35, my recruitment agency gave me my service income after deducted 10% fee every month. After April I will sign with an umbrella company and let them do the PAYE, what the agency role will be? will my client still pay through the agency? My agency recommended three umbrella companies to me, Can I believe my agency and pick one of it or I go to find an umbrella company myself?

Many Thanks

Nancy

There is no such thing as before IR35. It's been around thick end of 15 years. There is inside and outside. If you don't get that you aren't really a contractor.

Deducted 10% fee? I'd be willing to bet they've already deducted their cut before it's offered. That's their margin and we get the rest. To let them say here is a rate and we keep 10% is very unusual indeed. Sounds like newbie tax.

If you are carrying on working for the same client you could be caught going outside to inside (but looking at the post who knows what you are) which means you were inside all along so in a bad situation.

Role will be an agent as it always was. Didn't you do your own accounting? It's just someone else doing your accounting now.

Your old situation was Client-->Agent-->Your LTD-->You
    Your new sitaution is Client-->Agent-->Umbrella-->You

Ask the agent if they are flexible with umbrella choice? If not then there is your answer.

Most of the above could be wrong as your post is very difficult to understand.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      There is no such thing as before IR35. It's been around thick end of 15 years. There is inside and outside. If you don't get that you aren't really a contractor.
      IR35 has been around for over 20 years old. You would know that if you were contracting in 2000 and 2001. So i guess you werent.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

IR35 has been around for over 20 years old. You would know that if you were contracting in 2000 and 2001. So i guess you werent.
        Very useful contribution, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Very useful contribution, thank you.
          To be fair it's not some made up story about himself and it does contain one, nay, two correct facts so it's infinite improvement for him.

Comment

the agency write me a new letter. It said my client cannot recommend an Umbrella agency but they can offering a payroll company that could address the IR-35 Tax issue.
            Does this payroll company is as same as Umbrella?

Nancy
            Last edited by Nancy Little; 25 February 2021, 16:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Little View Post
              the agency write me a new letter. It said my client cannot recommend an Umbrella agency and offering a payroll company that could address the IR-35 Tax issue. Does this payroll company is as same as Umbrella?

Nancy
              Of course your client can't recommend an umbrella but you already said your agent can.

I can't help. Your English is so bad your post makes no sense. I am starting to think sockie. No one can work for a client with that level of English even if you are a coder.

Comment

Deducted 10% fee? I'd be willing to bet they've already deducted their cut before it's offered. That's their margin and we get the rest. To let them say here is a rate and we keep 10% is very unusual indeed. Sounds like newbie tax.

If you are carrying on working for the same client you could be caught going outside to inside (but looking at the post who knows what you are) which means you were inside all along so in a bad situation.

Role will be an agent as it always was. Didn't you do your own accounting? It's just someone else doing your accounting now.

Your old situation was Client-->Agent-->Your LTD-->You
                Your new sitaution is Client-->Agent-->Umbrella-->You

Ask the agent if they are flexible with umbrella choice? If not then there is your answer.

Most of the above could be wrong as your post is very difficult to understand.
                Thank you Northernladuk! you answered me most question and very clear. Can you tell me what is newbie tax? it is strange that my agent tell me they charge me extra more.

Comment

Of course your client can't recommend an umbrella but you already said your agent can.

I can't help. Your English is so bad your post makes no sense. I am starting to think sockie. No one can work for a client with that level of English even if you are a coder.
                  I am sorry that my poor English confused you. thank you for your patient.

Comment

Yes, my agency recommend three Umbrella companies to me, but my client said I need to investigate the Umbrella company myself if I wish to switch agency. That confused me. If I hire a umbrella company, my agency will stop working for me. And my new situation is Client-- umbrella--me?

Comment

Working...
                    X