• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTF Experian?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF Experian?!

Currently contracting, I accepted an offer for a permanent role and Experian are carrying out the pre-employment checks.

I filled in the super long super boring online form, part of which required 5 years of employment history. I don't recall agreeing to them reaching out to my past clients/agencies, but maybe it was in the fine prints, go figure.

Anyways, I'm waiting for the checks to be done before I give my 4 weeks notice.

Turns out Experian has contacted EVERYONE, including the agency I'm working my current contract through. Obviously don't need to tell you how many panicky voicemails the agent has left me so far.

Anyways, is it common practice? I mean, it's ok to contact previous employers...but the current one?

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Currently contracting, I accepted an offer for a permanent role and Experian are carrying out the pre-employment checks.

I filled in the super long super boring online form, part of which required 5 years of employment history. I don't recall agreeing to them reaching out to my past clients/agencies, but maybe it was in the fine prints, go figure.

Anyways, I'm waiting for the checks to be done before I give my 4 weeks notice.

Turns out Experian has contacted EVERYONE, including the agency I'm working my current contract through. Obviously don't need to tell you how many panicky voicemails the agent has left me so far.

Anyways, is it common practice? I mean, it's ok to contact previous employers...but the current one?
    You haven't got any so should be issues.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you were actually an employee where you have previous employers, then unless you specifically ask a potential new employer not to they will contact your current employer.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

what did you expect?
        They're paid to contact everyone you provided details for. Did you think they'd just file it?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If you were actually an employee where you have previous employers, then unless you specifically ask a potential new employer not to they will contact your current employer.
          In the work history section of the form I've put down a mix of employers from my permie time and recruitment agencies, included the one that sourced my current contract.

I was expecting for Experian to contact my previous ones, but not the current one. Especially since I don't recall giving my consent. Unless, as I said, it was buried in the fine prints, which to me is dodgy, so was wondering if it was common practice or just Experian being a bit of a dick

Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            what did you expect?
            They're paid to contact everyone you provided details for. Did you think they'd just file it?
            As I said, I was expecting for them to contact previous employers and agencies. Just not the current one as I feel it's a bit of a dick move.

Comment

As I said, I was expecting for them to contact previous employers and agencies. Just not the current one as I feel it's a bit of a dick move.
              why would you expect that?
              You put a contact down on a form. You have implicitly suggested in fact, that they do contact them
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                why would you expect that?
                You put a contact down on a form. You have implicitly suggested in fact, that they do contact them
                because that's never happened in my 10 year career. previous employers/agencies were contacted but never the one I was currently working for.

I just found it weird and cheeky, nothing more.

Comment

because that's never happened in my 10 year career. previous employers/agencies were contacted but never the one I was currently working for.

I just found it weird and cheeky, nothing more.
                  when it's an agency doing the check then maybe. But not a credit reference company.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

What happens if you've a great history but are committing every fraud possible at your current spot. They wouldn't be carrying out very good diligence if they didn't check that gig? It will be a previous employer once you start with them as well I guess.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X