• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit/IR35 and Working Abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Situation I'm in: MyLtdCo --> direct (no agency) contract with Dutch consultancy (small, only local presence) who have contract with Swedish multinational (with presence in the UK). The work I'm doing for them is all over Europe. I'm based in the UK and UK taxpayer.
    Spoke to QDOS the other day about my situation and they think that my limited company would be responsible for determining your IR35 status and also in the event of an enquiry I would be responsible for any IR35 tax liabilities, interest and penalties.
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
      Situation I'm in: MyLtdCo --> direct (no agency) contract with Dutch consultancy (small, only local presence) who have contract with Swedish multinational (with presence in the UK). The work I'm doing for them is all over Europe. I'm based in the UK and UK taxpayer.
      Spoke to QDOS the other day about my situation and they think that my limited company would be responsible for determining your IR35 status and also in the event of an enquiry I would be responsible for any IR35 tax liabilities, interest and penalties.
      As long as the supply chain is fully overseas, it’s BAU. Fully overseas means the company has no UK connection. No UK connection means no UK residency and no UK permanent establishment. If anyone in the supply chain has a UK connection, they are the Fee Payer.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        As long as the supply chain is fully overseas, it’s BAU. Fully overseas means the company has no UK connection. No UK connection means no UK residency and no UK permanent establishment. If anyone in the supply chain has a UK connection, they are the Fee Payer.
        “UK presence” would mean that the Swedish (for example) subsidiary of the multinational also has an office in the UK which would be highly unlikely as there would most likely instead be a separate UK subsidiary (a separate legal entity) of the group that has absolutely nothing to do with the specific project at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by moniker View Post
          “UK presence” would mean that the Swedish (for example) subsidiary of the multinational also has an office in the UK which would be highly unlikely as there would most likely instead be a separate UK subsidiary (a separate legal entity) of the group that has absolutely nothing to do with the specific project at hand.
          Thanks, Mystic Meg .

The legislative term is "UK connection", not "UK presence". Whether the company in the supply chain with a UK connection has anything to do with the project is completely irrelevant. A "UK connection" is defined in Chapter 8 of Part 2 of ITEPA in section 60I.

60I When a person has a UK connection for a tax year

(1)For the purposes of this Chapter, a person has a UK connection for a tax year if (and only if) immediately before the beginning of that tax year the person—
          (a)is resident in the United Kingdom, or
          (b)has a permanent establishment in the United Kingdom.
          (2)In this section “permanent establishment”—
          (a)in relation to a company, is to be read (by virtue of section 1007A of ITA 2007) in accordance with Chapter 2 of Part 24 of CTA 2010, and
          (b)in relation to any other person, is to be read in accordance with that Chapter but as if references in that Chapter to a company were references to that person.

Comment

Hi,
            I'm in a situation and would need help from whoever is more experienced - I would be very grateful.
            I have never contracted before so apologies for the basic questions and assumptions I will do.

I will be offered a full remote contract (freelance or specific project contract for duration of the assignment - 11 months) for a large international org via a talent acquisition partner in belgium. I will remain resident in UK and won't spend a day Belgium. I can work legally there with my EU passport (and stay in UK with my pre-settled status). They asked for my LTD details to write the contract but I'm still unsure it's the right path. From what I read so far:
            1- I will have to fill the LIMOSA because not resident in belgium that will provide me a tax, social security and VAT number. But I believe I don't need to pay any taxes as I will be paying them in UK
            2- Is it correct to say that depending on my contract being In or Out IR35 should guide me choosing between creating a UK LTD co or a (preferably FCSA member) umbrella company? (If Out then LTD, if In Umbrella)

Can anyone offer guidance or relevant accountant contacts plz?
            Last edited by z1z0u; 15 February 2021, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by z1z0u View Post
              Hi,
              I'm in a situation and would need help from whoever is more experienced - I would be very grateful.
              I have never contracted before so apologies for the basic questions and assumptions I will do.

I will be offered a full remote contract (freelance or specific project contract for duration of the assignment/11 months FTC) for a large international org via a talent acquisition partner in belgium. I will remain resident in UK and won't spend a day Belgium. I can work legally there with my EU passport (and stay in UK with my pre-settled status). They asked for my LTD details to write the contract but I'm still unsure it's the right path. From what I read so far:
              1- I will have to fill the LIMOSA because not resident in belgium that will provide me a tax, social security and VAT number. But I believe I don't need to pay any taxes as I will be paying them in UK
              2- Is it correct to say that depending on my contract being In or Out IR35 should guide me choosing between creating a UK LTD co or a (preferably FCSA member) umbrella company? (If Out then LTD, if In Umbrella)

Can anyone offer guidance or relevant accountant contacts plz?
              If it is an FTC you don't need a Ltd and IR35 doesn't apply. Yu will be on the client's payroll like an employee and Pay Belgian taxes (50+%)

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                If it is an FTC you don't need a Ltd and IR35 doesn't apply. Yu will be on the client's payroll like an employee and Pay Belgian taxes (50+%)
                It is stated that: "this is a contracting position, with the possibility of an extension after the end date"
                I "will receive a contract via their partner. Their partner can offer me a contract of indefinite duration, a project contract for the duration of the assignment at the end client or a freelance contract."

Why would I pay Belgian taxes if I'm just exporting my (consultancy and SME) services and already pay my taxes where I'm resident (in UK)?

Comment

It is stated that: "this is a contracting position, with the possibility of an extension after the end date"
                  I "will receive a contract via their partner. Their partner can offer me a contract of indefinite duration, a project contract for the duration of the assignment at the end client or a freelance contract."

Why would I pay Belgian taxes if I'm just exporting my (consultancy and SME) services and already pay my taxes where I'm resident (in UK)?
                  an FTC is basically an employment contract.
                  If you are using a UK LTD. then it's not an FTC.
                  But you did say FTC in your post.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Do you get paid an hourly or daily rate or will you get paid a salary every month?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      an FTC is basically an employment contract.
                      If you are using a UK LTD. then it's not an FTC.
                      But you did say FTC in your post.
                      Apologies for the confusion.

Do you get paid an hourly or daily rate or will you get paid a salary every month?
                      Hourly rate, 40 hours a week but no specifics about start/finish times, lunch break times and duration. It is for a particular project and I will use my own equipment (laptop).
                      Last edited by z1z0u; 15 February 2021, 13:29.

Comment

Working...
                      X