• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit/IR35 and Working Abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Unfortunately, Yes.
    Does IR35 apply if I am working overseas or my client is overseas?.

Ireland are one of the few countries that don't seem to have this "EU Passport holders only" ban on UK contractors at the moment.
    But there are very cagey about working with UK contractors now, in practice many are being refused despite perfect qualifications.
    It's too risky to work with UK contractors now - I've even heard of people being turned away from Switzerland.

In practise, UK contractors are being blacklisted gradually.

* I should add that companies who do not have a UK presence do not seem to be bothered working with UK contractors.
    Due to Brexit, the UK can no longer use the "Mutual Assistance Recovery Directive"
    That's because of a treaty in 1922 and latterly, the Good Friday agreement. Ireland and UK are effectively one country with regards to freedom to work and travel. That will never go away.
    The rest of the EU will not permit non EU nationals to work without a visa. That has always been the case.
    Switzerland is in Schengen so has to have some alignment with EU rules on peoples freedom to work and travel. That's part of the Schengen deal (Norway will be the same).

UK contractors are not being blacklisted. We left the EU and this is the natural consequence. There's no list, black or white.

FOG
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I need to comment on this as well...

You are misinterpreting that link.
      It says that if the client is overseas, but also a UK presence then they are responsible for determining your IR35 status.
      It also says that "you are still subject to UK tax". This is very misleading. Whilst subject to UK tax by virtue of being resident it doesn't mean you pay UK tax for the work you do overseas.

If I spend 9 months in Germany doing work I pay tax for those earnings in Germany not the UK.
      As I'm still UK tax resident then I may well pay UK tax on other earnings but not on the Germany derived income.

Stop misinterpreting poorly written articles and then quoting your interpretation as fact. It is misleading.

EDIT: FOG
      Last edited by Lance; 11 February 2021, 12:27.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

IMO If you are UK resident and perform your duties overseas, then you are still subject to UK tax, and the engagement is still within IR35 rules.
        IMO If you are UK non-resident and perform your services overseas, then the IR35 legislation won’t apply because you are outside the scope of UK tax.

Perhaps close your UK company and become ordinarily resident elsewhere.
        FTFY
        ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

There is nothing in ITEPA (2) 8 or 10 that excludes a UK taxpayer who works overseas for a company with no UK presence from their responsibility to assess IR35 status, likewise for a UK taxpayer who works in the UK for a fully overseas supply chain.

In both cases, there would be no ErNI due, however.

The basic condition of liability is being a UK taxpayer. There are other basic conditions too, notably being a 5% shareholder.

Comment

This is what QDOS says:

OVERSEAS ARRANGEMENTS
            One of the most common queries we are asked is around what happens if the contractor,
            fee-payer, or client are based overseas.
            The legislation is frustratingly unclear in most scenarios, so below we outline what we believe
            to be the case based on the information available.
            IF THE PSC IS BASED AND PERFORMS SERVICES IN
            THE UK, CONTRACTED TO AN OVERSEAS CLIENT
            VIA AN AGENCY IN THE UK
            In this respect, the legislation is relatively clear; “the
            liability moves to the next person in the contractual
            chain who is in the UK”. In this instance, any liability
            would sit with the agency.
            If this was slightly reversed in that the agency was
            based overseas but the client was in the UK, then the
            liability for applying the rules would be that of the
            client.
            IF THE PSC IS BASED AND PERFORMS SERVICES IN THE
            UK, CONTRACTED DIRECTLY TO AN OVERSEAS CLIENT
            HMRC have confirmed in the February 2020 review into
            the reform’s implementation that the legislation will be
            amended to exclude wholly overseas organisations with
            no UK presence from having to consider the off-payroll
            working rules, meaning that contractors will continue to
            determine their own status.

IF THE PSC IS BASED OVERSEAS BUT PERFORMS
            SERVICES IN THE UK
            The public sector guidance states that “where
            an intermediary is outside the UK but the worker
            performs services in the UK, fee payers must still
            deduct tax”.
            IR35 applies to the worker performing the services as
            opposed to the PSC itself. Fee payers will therefore
            still need to deduct tax where applicable.
            IF THE CONTRACTOR PERFORMS SERVICES OVERSEAS
            The relevancy of the IR35 rules will depend on your tax
            residency as the contractor performing the services.
            If you are a UK resident for tax purposes, IR35 may apply
            and you will need to consider the contractual chain as
            above to determine where the liability will sit.
            If you are a non-UK resident for tax purposes, IR35 will
            not apply to you.
            See Page not found - GOV.UK
            statutory-residence-test-srt for more information on tax
            residency

Comment

Any suggestions on the situation I'm in:

UK PSC -> European agent -> Global Outsourcer with a UK presence - European end client. All of the work is done remotely for the Euro end client from the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post

UK PSC -> European agent -> Global Outsourcer with a UK presence - European end client. All of the work is done remotely for the Euro end client from the UK.
                Global outsourcer is the Fee Payer. First in the chain above the PSC with a UK presence. They would be clueless though. I guess you really need to know your supply chain in this new world...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  There is nothing in ITEPA (2) 8 or 10 that excludes a UK taxpayer who works overseas for a company with no UK presence from their responsibility to assess IR35 status, likewise for a UK taxpayer who works in the UK for a fully overseas supply chain.
                  Good post.

There are no legal impediments to a UK contractor operating in Ireland, but in practise, Irish employers - like Europeans - are spooked by IR35. This has nothing to do with Brexit.
                  It's the same situation as in the UK - there's nothing to exclude 'Outside IR35' contractors working in the UK, but unfortunately in practice, they are widescale blanket bans - verifiable on the off-payroll website.

It's all fear-driven.
                  If UK companies won't take the time to understand the rules - why does anyone think a foreign employer would do it?

The following is a good example of 'concerns' Irish employers have about employing UK contractors:
                  Brexit or no Brexit – why HMRC might be coming after Irish companies
                  Brexit or no Brexit – why HMRC might be coming after Irish companies | IF Workforce Group

In both cases, there would be no ErNI due, however.

The basic condition of liability is being a UK taxpayer. There are other basic conditions too, notably being a 5% shareholder.
                  British residency rules are extremely complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                    All that sounds like an opinion to me. Do you have any evidence for UK contractors "being refused despite perfect qualifications" or "UK contractors are being blacklisted gradually"?
                    I couldn't imagine anyone publishing something that discriminatory - or anything that could actually be used as evidence. Why would they?

The OP referred to jobs being advertised as "EU nationals only".
                    I've seen the same thing.

Perhaps ask the OP - he is based in Europe I think?

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post

Yikes. That’s messy.
                      If I were in your position I’d be doing the same as now, and presuming that in the event of an IR35 problem it’s my problem. That might not not be right but better to be safe.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X