• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside role but for 6m only query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside role but for 6m only query

Testing
    Last edited by redman123; 3 November 2021, 10:35.

You ring HMRC and tell them the situation and they will adjust your code and whatever accordingly. It will all work out over time when your P60s/SA go in but better to ring them than wait a whole year or more.

As you've been on Self Assessment before it's likely you'll still have to fill one of those in from which HMRC will also calulate your figures but your Payments on Account will probably be too high so again, if there is anything different from what is fairly normal ring them and tell them rather than sorting it out in the next tax return.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You ring HMRC and tell them the situation and they will adjust your code and whatever accordingly. It will all work out over time when your P60s/SA go in but better to ring them than wait a whole year or more.

As you've been on Self Assessment before it's likely you'll still have to fill one of those in from which HMRC will also calulate your figures but your Payments on Account will probably be too high so again, if there is anything different from what is fairly normal ring them and tell them rather than sorting it out in the next tax return.
      You are likely to have to fill in a self assessment form but if you don't fill in the form the money will be repaid to you when HMRC notice that you've overpaid. It's a long time since I was permanent but on the year I left to go contracting HMRC sent me a nice cheque in early May once the tax year was over

I however you do fill in a self assessment form the earlier you complete it the earlier you will get any overpaid income tax back

* Note - National insurance is paid and due monthly - no refund for that will be possible.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        You are likely to have to fill in a self assessment form but if you don't fill in the form the money will be repaid to you when HMRC notice that you've overpaid. It's a long time since I was permanent but on the year I left to go contracting HMRC sent me a nice cheque in early May once the tax year was over

I however you do fill in a self assessment form the earlier you complete it the earlier you will get any overpaid income tax back

* Note - National insurance is paid and due monthly - no refund for that will be possible.
        Correct but I wouldn't trust HMRC to do it properly with what could be quite a chunk of money that he may need if he's only working 6 months. Better to inform HMRC and try get it right from the start IMO.

Comment

There was another post this week about someone querying his tax situation and he managed to get through to HMRC to sort it so it's not as difficult as you would assume.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...s-account.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            There was another post this week about someone querying his tax situation and he managed to get through to HMRC to sort it so it's not as difficult as you would assume.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...s-account.html
            Payment on account is very different from trying to override a PAYE style agreement with deduction at source.

The only way to fix it would be to shift to emergency tax codes and that would then open a second set of issues where the poster returns and complains - having worked all 12 months why have I been presented with this large tax bill that I can't now pay.
            Last edited by eek; 29 January 2021, 10:33.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Payment on account is very different from trying to override a PAYE style agreement with deduction at source.

The only way to fix it would be to shift to emergency tax codes and that would then open a second set of issues where the post returns and complains - having worked all 12 months why have I been presented with this large tax bill that I can't now pay.
              Jeez you are on one today. The example wasn't his actual tax situation, it was the fact that getting throuh to HMRC and sorting it isn't the nightmare most people think.

Comment

Working...
              X