• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting vs Permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Take holidays between contracts.
    ^^ This. Very wise.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Using advise instead of advice should be an instant permaban.. Its nearly every new post nowadays.
      Do your duty, Mods.

Comment

In addition to holidays within contracts, naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadlyspark1 View Post
          Hi guys, Looking for some advise!

I have been contracting for 8 months at a rate of £425. I have been offered a position within the company on £60,000 a year plus Van. If I stay contracting there’s enough work for 18 months, whereas the permanent position there is currently 3/4 years work currently.

With the current climate and now official in a recession, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi guys should have added. I’m LTD and in the back of my mind IR35 is concerning me, but passed my IR35 assessment which deemed me “outside” for 12 months.

Comment

Are you talking about holidays or just that gap period when you finish the old contract and look for your new one? Because that's no holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadlyspark1 View Post
              Hi guys should have added. I’m LTD and in the back of my mind IR35 is concerning me, but passed my IR35 assessment which deemed me “outside” for 12 months.
              This sets the alarm bells ringing for me. It tells me you've a very poor grasp of IR35 and I'm wondering what kind of assessment puts you out for a set period of time as you say you've been there 8 months. You don't appear to understand that this can change over time and you can affect your own status..

So further to that there is a question about whether or not the new job is doing the same as you were doing as a contract which has IR35 issues and then there is the CIS comment made earlier.

As ususal we have nowhere near enough information to give any kind of advice and the missing facts will just get drip fed until the whole things becomes far to confusing to help.

IMO get us some hard facts and some information and re-start the thread. This one is now useless.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                This sets the alarm bells ringing for me. It tells me you've a very poor grasp of IR35 and I'm wondering what kind of assessment puts you out for a set period of time as you say you've been there 8 months. You don't appear to understand that this can change over time and you can affect your own status..

So further to that there is a question about whether or not the new job is doing the same as you were doing as a contract which has IR35 issues and then there is the CIS comment made earlier.

As ususal we have nowhere near enough information to give any kind of advice and the missing facts will just get drip fed until the whole things becomes far to confusing to help.

IMO get us some hard facts and some information and re-start the thread. This one is now useless.
                usual
                thing
                too

@NLUK: and use some commas, man.
                @Mods: do your duty.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  Are you talking about holidays or just that gap period when you finish the old contract and look for your new one? Because that's no holiday.
                  No I mean go travel for a couple weeks or months. Between my last contract and this one I had 2 month gap and holidayed for 1 month, then spent the second month securing a new contract (took longer than normal because of ir35 crap). I know most people here tend to chain their contracts together and start a new one the week after their last one ended but I never have done that.

When in contract I bill every day I can. I haven't had any of these 5 year contracts though. Most has been 2 years and I didn't take any holidays during that time. I'd rather bill 250 days a year and take 2 months off after it's over.

Comment

Working...
                  X