• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK to Switzerland - anyone done it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reddog View Post
    As stated 125Kchf is not good, but I think it depends on other things, not just the money, for example if you are single or have a partner who wants to start a new life it could be interesting, and you could always jump ship after 6 months when you know the Swiss job market. On the other hand, if you have 3 kids at a critical time for schooling it might not be such a good idea!!

The best time to start working in Switzerland was in the middle of the lockdown, saw a few contracts then for 1600-1800chf per day!! Due to the fact that they could only source people from within Switzerland!!
    Thanks. No, I am single and it is less about the money but how the UK job market will be in 2021 given IR 35, Brexit and Covid.

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
      Thanks. No, I am single and it is less about the money but how the UK job market will be in 2021 given IR 35, Brexit and Covid.
      I'd do it for the experience. I was out of the country for 10 years and I think that were possibly it hit me was getting on the property ladder (bought my first property in Madrid). With a good broker, it's no problem getting on, it's just that I have a larger mortgage than others at my age would have.

There are upsides and downsides to moving to another country but young and single I'd do it.

Comment

Thanks and True

Actually I prefer to be in UK if the contract market was how it was few years back, but my current contract is only for few more months with no scope for extension so I will be back in market in 2021.

The lure of security of a perm offer in uncertain times is the influencer here. Normally it takes me few weeks between roles, but it took me several months to get my current contract role during covid and I do not know how the state of UK market will be next year.

Comment

Ok. I believe you have to stay out there for 2 years in order to not be liable for tax in the UK (but I'm not an accountant so don't quote me on that)

Comment

If you leave with the intention of never coming back, then you'll be out of the UK tax system from day 1, with residency partially that tax year in the UK, partially in Switzerland. Otherwise, you are only UK tax exempt of each full tax year you are not resident in the UK.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Then you'd be crazy not to. The quality of life there is incredible. The women are beautiful, you can see the Alps from every street in Zurich, the lake is out of this world, and once you get to know the place, the nightlife is outstanding (you need a local to show you around. It's not as obvious as in London).

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
                Then you'd be crazy not to. The quality of life there is incredible. The women are beautiful, you can see the Alps from every street in Zurich, the lake is out of this world, and once you get to know the place, the nightlife is outstanding (you need a local to show you around. It's not as obvious as in London).
                I am sold

Comment

I know this is a contractor forum but sometimes there are more important things than money. If you are single then go for it, it will be a great experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
                    in ZURICH? what were you smoking?
                    overpriced everything, crap service everywhere, and populated by miserable, pucker mouthed anal retentives.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      in ZURICH? what were you smoking?
                      overpriced everything, crap service everywhere, and populated by miserable, pucker mouthed anal retentives.
                      Basel on the other hand... And it's just an hour away by train.*°

* Or 5 by car
                      ° Or 5 if someone decides to end it all because Zürich is so miserable
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X