• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview cancelled Twice - Never happened before

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview cancelled Twice - Never happened before

I have had 2 interviews cancelled recently for the following reasons:

1 They have filled the role before the interview
    2 They are no longer going ahead with the role.

Since I have never expereinced this situation before, I have become bit paranoid as I prepared extensively for these interviews. it was quite frustrating to get last minute cancellation notification.

Is it because that the interviews are now set up directly with the candidate through teams or webex, it is easier to cancel with one click without going through agency and explaining reasons?

Quite frustrated - did anyone face this situation?

Are you a high risk Covid19 group ?

Fat / bald / bame / man / over 40 etc

Some employers are checking out social media and online photos to see if your lifestyle puts you at higher risk, so won’t take the chance and easy to cancel and make up lame excuses

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I've had entire jobs cancelled on less than a day's notice, much less interviews (and one interview was cancelled just as I got to their reception area after a three hour journey...) and I doubt I'm alone.

It happens. Clients and employers live in their own world and it's not one you can't influence. Just move on.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have had interviews cancelled for those reasons even in good times when one used to attend client offices for such things. They are perfectly valid reasons for cancellation.

It will be impossible to say whether the client / agent is telling the truth and there is absolutely no value in second guessing that part. You'll just drive yourself potty.

Take the statement at face value, be relieved you were told about the cancellation and weren't left waiting on a call that no-one turned up to.

Comment

Perfectly normal. Welcome to contracting.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Its just a coincidence mate nothing to be paranoid about

Key thing in contracting is never ever think you have got a new gig until you actually start work, no matter how quick they come back with interview request, no matter how well you think you have done in interview, even after offer, even after you have signed a contract. Never ever take it as a given and always have potential back ups until you start work.

Comment

Thanks all, may be I am thinking too much just that 2 got cancelled within 2 weeks and then mind start thinking about all possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Kprad35 View Post
                Thanks all, may be I am thinking too much just that 2 got cancelled within 2 weeks and then mind start thinking about all possibilities.
                Definitely this. Both are very valid and are amongst a raft of genuine reasons a contingent resource may not be required. It's just business.

It's not wrong to consider it when it happens though. By understanding you can weed out lying agents or issues about you can that you can fix but at the end of the day if it does appear genuine there is nothing you can do so don't get worked up.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I went through a stint last year of doing well in first interviews then the role disappearing before I had a second.

Comment

1 is a valid reason and is actually a good thing. It's good that when they found the right person they just made it happen instead of dragging on the process.

2 will almost certainly be covid-19 related. Lots of projects have been cancelled.

Comment

Working...
                    X