• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH/Lockdown/Future of office work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    The Agileeesta's all say that co-location is the only way to work.

While that is the ideal and works for small companies, it just doesn't fly for big companies with out-sourced workers or global teams.
    And so if the entire world now decides to work from home, this in turn spells the death knell for agile, perhaps waterfall will make a recovery and in turn stop Ghostie from telling us every five minutes that PMs are a redundant thing of the dinosaur past.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      He wants to make it a legal right even though he then says

Legal right when only 25% are doing it during a pandemic. Right... that's gonna go well.

As soon as someone mentions legal rights it gets my back straight up. Is that just me?
      20 Lambert & Butlers and two lottery tickets for tomorrow night please. Oh, what, you don't have a lottery machine at home?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        And so if the entire world now decides to work from home, this in turn spells the death knell for agile, perhaps waterfall will make a recovery and in turn stop Ghostie from telling us every five minutes that PMs are a redundant thing of the dinosaur past.
        I can't see how working from home will impact the use of agile, but anything that stops GoT posting anything is good in my books

Comment

Could a side-effect of more people working from home be driving down London day rates for contractors, which are typically higher than the rest of the country?

If WFH becomes the new norm for a higher number of contracts, it will allow those that would otherwise not commute to London to apply. If these people are typically on lower day rates, then the client will naturally lean towards these suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            Could a side-effect of more people working from home be driving down London day rates for contractors, which are typically higher than the rest of the country?

If WFH becomes the new norm for a higher number of contracts, it will allow those that would otherwise not commute to London to apply. If these people are typically on lower day rates, then the client will naturally lean towards these suppliers.
            That's a reasonable point to make. I would also wonder if the client would then pay expenses for the inevitable times you need to be on site? At the moment part of the fee inflation is to cover travel and accommodation.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              That's a reasonable point to make. I would also wonder if the client would then pay expenses for the inevitable times you need to be on site? At the moment part of the fee inflation is to cover travel and accommodation.
              that's the model i've been working to for 5 years now.
              100% WFH after a week onboarding, and client pays T&A for any site visits

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

These people aren't on lower day rates if they're going for a London contract.

A Londoner's £500 a day has to cover their inflated mortgage/rent, a northerner's £500 a day for the same gig would have to cover travel and accommodation. You would probably therefore have more chance of recruiting a northerner on a remote gig based in London.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  He wants to make it a legal right even though he then says

Legal right when only 25% are doing it during a pandemic. Right... that's gonna go well.

As soon as someone mentions legal rights it gets my back straight up. Is that just me?
                  I stop short of saying it should be a legal right but I think it could be incentivised. It has long seemed dated that everyone gets dragged into the office at 0900 battling with other commuters (Cities) and schools (Towns).

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I have worked under those terms as well. Works well and when you do have to go into the office it tends to be for a meeting so more often than not you avoid rush hour,

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      These people aren't on lower day rates if they're going for a London contract.

A Londoner's £500 a day has to cover their inflated mortgage/rent, a northerner's £500 a day for the same gig would have to cover travel and accommodation. You would probably therefore have more chance of recruiting a northerner on a remote gig based in London.
                      This exactly

Can’t wait to escape London for somewhere sunny after lockdown (why the hell would you live in UK if working from home)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X