• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Substitute (my coke for gin)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substitute (my coke for gin)

I'm currently in a contract (public sector, outside IR35) until end July this year and may have an opportunity to move on to something better. I don't like leaving mid contract, but sometimes necessary.

I'm thinking of putting a substitute in, if I can find someone. This would obviously be great to cement my outside IR35 determination and possible earn some extra if the sub's rate is right, however I'm a little concerned what this would mean post April. Would it now be my company, as the fee payer who is now responsible for determining the IR35 status of the substitute?

If so, would it mean therefore that my company takes on the risk in the event of any IR35 investigation?

(Anyone who's interested in being the substitute, feel free to DM me. It's a UX design role, GDS project in West Yorkshire).

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    Would it now be my company, as the fee payer who is now responsible for determining the IR35 status of the substitute?
    Yes, in terms of operating any deemed payment, not the SDS though.

If so, would it mean therefore that my company takes on the risk in the event of any IR35 investigation?
    In the first instance, yes, assuming the client has provided an SDS, completed timely and with reasonable care. But I wouldn't assume that the client's SDS will place the contract outside. It might not. Then you're operating a deemed payment.

Comment

I wouldn't bother. More hassle than it's worth. Get an email from your client saying they are happy for you to provide a sub to cover you. File it and then tell them you can't or point out it would be easier for all to just find someone through the agent.

If you want to make some coin on it and happy for the extra work then fill your boots. I'd rather just get on with the new gig personally.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I wouldn't bother. More hassle than it's worth. Get an email from your client saying they are happy for you to provide a sub to cover you. File it and then tell them you can't or point out it would be easier for all to just find someone through the agent.

If you want to make some coin on it and happy for the extra work then fill your boots. I'd rather just get on with the new gig personally.
        I was thinking this, personally. Might have been before the IR35 changes, but seems like added risk on top of the hassle.

It's unlikely I will find someone anyway as I'm not from the area.

Comment

I was thinking this, personally. Might have been before the IR35 changes, but seems like added risk on top of the hassle.

And do a free handover with them, not at clients cost but you'll have to pay the sub

Comment

Agree, too much hassle, too much uncertainty.

Comment

Post the details on here - you never know

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                Post the details on here - you never know
                In the OP:

(Anyone who's interested in being the substitute, feel free to DM me. It's a UX design role, GDS project in West Yorkshire).

Comment

In the OP:

In Leeds per chance. Was it you looking for a sub on LinkedIn recently?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    In Leeds per chance. Was it you looking for a sub on LinkedIn recently?
                    no and no

Comment

Working...
                    X