• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TOGAF course provider recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Just check it's v10 material and that it properly includes the Learning Studies. Some courses miss those out and are not fully accredited by the The Open Group.

My OH still presents courses for Firebrand (now part of BPP) and his next one in Wyboston is at the beginning of June.
    I've just spoken to someone at Firebrand, their next availability is August or October.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Just check it's v10 material and that it properly includes the Learning Studies. Some courses miss those out and are not fully accredited by the The Open Group.

My OH still presents courses for Firebrand (now part of BPP) and his next one in Wyboston is at the beginning of June.
      I've heard good things about Firebrand training from a few sources. One of my team did the 6 day CISSP course. Looked like the volume of material was very significant but the trainer did a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by heathen666 View Post
        Sorry to resurrect a four year old thread but I thought would be a better approach than creating a whole new one.

Are the joys of Scott on Udemy and YT still the best approach for TOGAF training material or is there others that are recommended? Ideally looking for online, but willing to consider a classroom-based course. Yes, I know TOGAF is heavy going so I’m fully expecting vast amounts of caffeine to be a requirement to get through the material.
        I have both TOGAF qualifications. The route I took was just to read the training materials and then book the exam. The thing with TOGAF is that much of it is quite... abstract, and bears very little resemblance to anything you might actually do in the real world! The architectural lifecycle stuff is ok though, and I have even used it a few times to help me find my way with a project.

Currently not finding that TOGAF is helping in any way with the current job market, if that is what you are thinking it will do for you.

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post

I have both TOGAF qualifications. The route I took was just to read the training materials and then book the exam. The thing with TOGAF is that much of it is quite... abstract, and bears very little resemblance to anything you might actually do in the real world! The architectural lifecycle stuff is ok though, and I have even used it a few times to help me find my way with a project.

Currently not finding that TOGAF is helping in any way with the current job market, if that is what you are thinking it will do for you.
          TOGAF is a bit like ITIL, in that it is more about providing a framework with which you should (can?) approach the problem rather than a strict formula to create the solution. Unlike ITIL, however, the qualifications do mean something...

If you are a LinkedIn denizen, I can PM you a pretty good contact in that field.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by heathen666 View Post

I've just spoken to someone at Firebrand, their next availability is August or October.
            Interesting. I'll make an enquiry

EDIT: the June course is over-subscribed it seems.

Upcoming dates he's been booked in for are:

Amsterdam 9-12 July (the food is much better than Wyboston)
            Wyboston 6-9 August
            Canary Wharf 27-30 August (TBC, not sure who is marketing that one)
            Wyboston 8-11 October
            Last edited by ladymuck; 9 May 2024, 14:59.

Comment

I used ate-enterprises.com when I did my TOGAF training.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Graham Berrisford is a good teacher of the TOGAF training. I think he provides his services via a number of the leading providers.
                Ping him on LinkedIn and ask him which dates and places he is teaching in the near future. Or to recommend someone else if his diary does not fit your needs.

Who actually teaches the course matters a lot more than which training company is selling it.

Comment

I will add my OH has set some of the exam questions

It's quite possible Berrisford has too; the cohort of TOGAF trainers is quite small. Similarly, there's only a few companies who own their course content and schedule courses with the majority of providers being resellers.

CoolCat's comment about the "who" is salient. My OH has an investment banking background but also includes examples from other industries (some of them are based on projects I've worked on!). If the seller can/will tell you who is delivering the course, it's a good idea to check them out on LI and contact them for more info.

Comment

Working...
                  X