• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Purpose built platform to find contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JacobMason View Post
    Great feedback, thank you for your time.

I tried to explain it all in the copy, but it's still a work in progress.

The idea is that we are an agency without the recruiters calling you all the time. So we work exactly how an agency would but we try and be as separated from the process as possible, instead we provide all the tools for contractors and clients to connect, sort the legal side and then handle time tracking and payments.

The benefit for end clients is that our markup on the contractors rate is a fraction of what it would be from a typical agency. Obviously there is a bit more work for the end client, but we're hoping that the lower rate will make up for that.

I know that timesheets and self billing is already offered, but as the agencies selling point is to be a one stop shop we can't not advertise that.

Again, thank you for the response!

The main issue is that you are trying to rerun a broken business model.

With a agency, the client relies on them to make an initial selection and send over likely candidates. Not only doest this save the client a load of money and time, it also means if something goes wrong then its the agents fault and the client hiring manager gets to live another day.

Your idea seems to rely on the client sticking their neck on the line, making all the descisions and therefore taking the heat if something goes wrong, the agent isn't there to take the rap when it all goes pear shaped.

I would speculate that you are mostly going to attract the kind of client that doesn't want to pay without a fight and you'll only find that out when you have paid out a load of cash to contractors etc months ago yourself.

That and IR35.

HTH

Comment

Sure, but why would that cost an additional 2%?
      Your factor fee

Some clients won’t pay up till 90days+

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Sure, but why would that cost an additional 2%?
        As Tarbera says it's the cost of borrowing money to pay the contractor before your customer pays you.

Between this and you idea that people will do more work to save money (hint contractors are expensive so even 15-20% additional cost on top that saves the customer manager time is not a problem for them) I'm starting to think you really do need to do a lot more research before investing any money in this project of yours - you seem to have a lot to learn..
        Last edited by eek; 18 December 2019, 07:19.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          As Tarbera says it's the cost of borrowing money to pay the contractor before your customer pays you.

Between this and you idea that people will do more work to save money (hint contractors are expensive so even 15-20% additional cost on top that saves the customer manager time is not a problem for them) I'm starting to think you really do need to do a lot more research before investing any money in this project of yours - you seem to have a lot to learn..
          I don’t think he was planning on investing any money. Much to learn this one has.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I respect that, but that criticism was anything but constructive. I'm thankful for everyone's responses so far and I'm definitely noticing a pattern.

I'll admit we don't have all the answers just yet, but our first port of call is to find out if this is something contractors want. We need time to reflect on the recurring questions and find solutions.

Again, I want to reiterate that all responses are appreciated. Thank you.
            Then I would read 'It's Not Luck' by Eliyahu Goldratt - he knows how to use all sorts of criticism to benefit the project.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I respect that, but that criticism was anything but constructive. I'm thankful for everyone's responses so far and I'm definitely noticing a pattern.

I'll admit we don't have all the answers just yet, but our first port of call is to find out if this is something contractors want. We need time to reflect on the recurring questions and find solutions.

Again, I want to reiterate that all responses are appreciated. Thank you.
              this is the post you claimed wasn't constructive criticism:

Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
              Who is this our you are speaking about. You're not even a registered company
              You have came to a contractors forum, with a vague idea, parts of which have been muted before (many people have posted on here thinking they can replace agents), and when someone points out that there a couple of issues with your website, suddenly you don't want feedback?

Then you are thankful, but "noticing a pattern"?

It would be amazing if the middle man agents could be cut out, and the contractors could get a bit more of the money, but what all these similar ideas prove is that the proposers don't really understand what agents do for their clients (factoring is one of a few), and that if the clients didn't need them, or had something better they could do, then agents would have disappeared long ago.

I'm not saying that space couldn't be disrupted, far from it, and tbh, I do applaud you for trying, because I certainly have never tried, nor do I have any idea how it could be done.

Comment

Since when did BACS cost money?
                Oh, mate... you really are quite "box fresh" aren't you? Do you have ANY idea of the costs involved in this sort of venture?
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  this is the post you claimed wasn't constructive criticism:

You have came to a contractors forum, with a vague idea, parts of which have been muted before (many people have posted on here thinking they can replace agents), and when someone points out that there a couple of issues with your website, suddenly you don't want feedback?

Then you are thankful, but "noticing a pattern"?

It would be amazing if the middle man agents could be cut out, and the contractors could get a bit more of the money, but what all these similar ideas prove is that the proposers don't really understand what agents do for their clients (factoring is one of a few), and that if the clients didn't need them, or had something better they could do, then agents would have disappeared long ago.

I'm not saying that space couldn't be disrupted, far from it, and tbh, I do applaud you for trying, because I certainly have never tried, nor do I have any idea how it could be done.
                  By "noticing a pattern" I was referring to the same questions coming up over and over again, questions to which I don't necessarily have the answer to right here and now.

In my short time as a contractor I have always thought that the role the agency plays is seemingly small for the amount they charge the client. Someone mentioned that they filter out applicants but if my experience is anything to go by they rarely know the right questions to even attempt that, all they confirm is that I'm human.

There are definitely clients who would rather pay more and offload it to a regular agency, but there are those who advertise directly on job sites who might benefit.

I probably didn't choose the best time to post this as I don't have access to a desktop at the moment to post quickly and with as much depth as I would like!

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                    Oh, mate... you really are quite "box fresh" aren't you? Do you have ANY idea of the costs involved in this sort of venture?
                    Nope, not in its entirety. Although the most obvious way we cut cost is to have no recruiters.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      I don’t think he was planning on investing any money. Much to learn this one has.
                      You and eek are correct. We will not be investing any more money unless we think the business is viable. It's feedback and suggestions from the target audience which helps to decide that, and there's a lot of it here!

Comment

Working...
                      X