• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signs of Being Renewed/Signs Not Being Renewed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signs of Being Renewed/Signs Not Being Renewed

From all of your in-depth experience of contracting over the years, what are the signs that you will be renewed? Likewise, what are the signs you will not be renewed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

When the renewal arrives in my inbox

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      When the renewal arrives in my inbox

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Exactly this. You could think it's a dead cert and then it doesn't appear for reasons completely unknown to you.

That said there are signs but it's totally down to you to spot them and weight them up. You are going to need some nouse though. It's not tick box. You've got to understand the project, what's being delivered when, the plan, the budget, feedback from stakeholders, the effect if you left, what would be delivered if you stay and so on. Its about thinking and acting like a business and delivering value to your client.

On top of all this you've got to think for to April and the changes that brings which should it in the next renewal.

But, as Tarby says, you could do all these things and it looks like a no brainer but the client says no. Could be budget costs, changes to resource model, back fill with a permie, decidedly average delivery from you and all sorts. It's not a given.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sometimes the client will have a chat with you, sometimes they just tell the agent to extend and, like the comments above, it just turns up in your inbox. Other times I've gotten to the last day of the gig and received a renewal at 4.30pm.

For the most part, I've been told by the client they're not extending and I would always assume the gig ends on the contract end date unless I hear otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Plonitus View Post
          From all of your in-depth experience of contracting over the years, what are the signs that you will be renewed?
          I arrive in the morning and there isn't an Indian sat at my desk.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            I arrive in the morning and there isn't an Indian sat at my desk.
            Potentially demonstrative of circumstances where cultural fit is less of a concern than price.

Comment

I have developed a sense for these things that is more often or not correct but other than the obvious project about to end I couldn't really describe what it is.

Comment

Look around your team - does it look like the client could do without you? No? Then inevitable renewal, in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Plonitus View Post
                  From all of your in-depth experience of contracting over the years, what are the signs that you will be renewed? Likewise, what are the signs you will not be renewed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
                  Are you part of an approved budget, or not? Best indicator. But I take the approach any contract is only ever as long as the termination clause.

Comment

When my badge works on the first day of the new contract.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X