• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor to perm - how much money to expect (part timer)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jumbotron View Post
    Assuming I decide that a lifestyle change isn't what I want right now - is the 65k reasonable (in relation to my current day rate, understand it depends on market conditions) for the contractor to permie conversion?
    I’m not sure that’s the relevant - or even answerable - question.

The two relevant questions are:
    “Is £65k a reasonable permanent salary for the role, taking into account similar permanent salaries for similar roles?”

And:
    “Do I want to take the role for £65k, based on my answer to the question above?”

The contract rate really isn’t any form of anchor for what the permanent salary should be.

Comment

Assuming I decide that a lifestyle change isn't what I want right now - is the 65k reasonable (in relation to my current day rate, understand it depends on market conditions) for the contractor to permie conversion?
      I think so - as per my previous reply. You could get a bit more but I don't think that much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
        I’m not sure that’s the relevant - or even answerable - question.

The two relevant questions are:
        “Is £65k a reasonable permanent salary for the role, taking into account similar permanent salaries for similar roles?”

And:
        “Do I want to take the role for £65k, based on my answer to the question above?”

The contract rate really isn’t any form of anchor for what the permanent salary should be.
        I'd disagree as it's at least indicative.

There is an approximate relationship between contract rate and permanent salary equivalent. Of course, it also depends on several market factors but it is a rough rule of thumb. You can see this if you look at any of the salary/contract rate guides published by some of the big agencies like Hays, Harvey Nash, Robert Half etc.

If you're on £500/day you will never get a similar role paying £100k salary. Conversely, if you were in a permanent role on a £100k salary, the minimum contract equivalent would be around £700-750. If you were offered £500 you would be underselling yourself.

Comment

Do you think there's a chance of being able to stay working for this client by starting to work via umbrella? i.e. keeping 3 days a week and avoiding being squeezed into permanent.
          very likely, but get your agency to make the approach.

Comment

I've been wrestling with this question myself as I'm starting to consider permie roles. Have you looked on Jobserve and tried to find equivalent jobs advertised as permanent? When I did it for my niche that was previously paying about £450 - £500 per day, the identical roles are coming in at around what most people are saying here : 65 - 75 k at best, with a lot more significantly lower. Maybe web development is different, but I don't see a lot of jobs higher than 80k per year that don't involve some kind of management of other people.

Also beware that you are obviously valued by your current client because they know you and that's why what they are offering is on the high side of the market. Once your CV is simply another unknown in a giant stack of CVs, those numbers are going to come crashing down pretty quick.

Comment

I've had an alert on jobserve for perm and they are all at market rates for perm. Nothing even remotely close to contracting. Service Delivery Managers contracting up to 500 per day but the highest perm around 60k.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Im on £550 a day, and was offered just over £80k on a permie basis in the same role. I didnt want to do the same role due to the IR35 risk so went into the consulting side of the business. Got a package of £115k OTE - it all depends who you impress and know to get the gigs (sorry I mean career) that pay the most

Even with this it still a significant drop in take home which means tightening our belts (first world problems)

Comment

I am on 650, and I asked for 110k, while their offer was 90k. Didn't go well for anyone.

Comment

Just had a look at permanent javascript jobs on on jobserve

Find javascript Jobs in london with JobServe.com

ranges for the first few results (excluding finance) are:
                    70 - 95
                    80 - 85
                    65 - 75
                    60 - 80
                    50 - 70

which averages out to 65k - 80k

Comment

Just had a look at permanent javascript jobs on on jobserve

Find javascript Jobs in london with JobServe.com

ranges for the first few results (excluding finance) are:
                      70 - 95
                      80 - 85
                      65 - 75
                      60 - 80
                      50 - 70

which averages out to 65k - 80k
                      Find a higher rate and take that one

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...