• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Creating the No.1 Best IT Consultancy Agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating the No.1 Best IT Consultancy Agency

Doing a little preliminary investigation, appreciate people's thoughts/ideas...

Before we start:
    Yes - if/when things get real, I will indeed be speaking to my accountant before proceeding.
    Yes - I have searched, and I know this topic has come up before here, but I couldn't find then right search terms (hoping NLUK will be along presently to do this for me!)

Currently:
    I am contracting through my Ltd, me/partner 50/50 shareholders.
    Got a reasonable warchest in the company - should see me through 1 year on the bench.
    Just got renewed for 3 months with possibility of additional work as we're kicking off a business case currently for additional scope.

Was approached by an ex-colleague this week, who wants to jump ship from their permie role and is looking around. They've floated the idea of joining up and creating a "consultancy" style business.
    Initial plan is for them to grab a 3-6 month contract to a) see out restrictive covenants they have; b) give them something to do whilst we build up a pipeline of work.

I have a couple of contract opportunities that I'm working on that would fit them nicely, so they should be able to walk into something straight off.

Although I'm doing fine currently on my own, they look set to jump regardless and it would not do either of us much good to be competing for contract gigs in what is a pretty niche space for us.

I am interested in the joint consultancy gig also - gets me out of the comfy chair I've settled into over the last 18 months.

I've done a few other bits of work alongside my existing project. They have some decent leads. So there is definite opportunity for getting a decent stream of work, and not relying on typical 6 month+ contractor gigs, which is what I would do if I stay as-is.

So ... what's the options for setting this type or arrangement up in terms of Ltd ?
    1. I could close my Ltd down, and we could spin one up together 50/50 shareholding (well, 25% each if we include both our partners as shareholders).
    Assume I would not qualify for ER, if I'm spinning up another Ltd doing something similar ?

2. Each have out own Ltd, and our Ltds as the shareholders in a "billing" company ?

3. Them join my Ltd, but then it seems a mess as to what to do with the existing capital (i.e. it's mine !), and I believe there would be a cost of buying the shares, etc ??

4. Something else ...

Appreciate comments from this learned community !

What's the benefits of all this to you vs carrying on your own?

2 contractors do not make a consultancy.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post

you're doing it the wrong way round.

Forget about structure until you have a business.
      Body shopping contractors into opportunities is a business, but not unique and certainly not easy to scale.

Your suggested structures (1,2 and 3) are going to be a problem. Google MSC legislation.
      Just pay your guys a day rate based on timesheets.
      Of course if you want a pool of people working just for you then you should employ them, but that gets closer towards running a real business (which your post suggests you don't want to do).

Unless you can scale this to more than 10 people, you've just got a headache for very little reward.

If you have an opportunity and get a guy onsite for 10% of the rate, then just do it as a sub-contract.

As for becoming "the No.1 Best IT Consultancy Agency".... find a millionaire backer with a healthy attitude to risk.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        you're doing it the wrong way round..
        Which is the usual way it goes with these questions. The 3 threads I found all started the same and got this same response. None of them offer any insight in to their model or offering.

Someone said to me ages ago...If you have to ask these things then it isn't going to work.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
          Doing a little preliminary investigation, appreciate people's thoughts/ideas...

Before we start:
          Yes - if/when things get real, I will indeed be speaking to my accountant before proceeding.
          Yes - I have searched, and I know this topic has come up before here, but I couldn't find then right search terms (hoping NLUK will be along presently to do this for me!)

Currently:
          I am contracting through my Ltd, me/partner 50/50 shareholders.
          Got a reasonable warchest in the company - should see me through 1 year on the bench.
          Just got renewed for 3 months with possibility of additional work as we're kicking off a business case currently for additional scope.

Was approached by an ex-colleague this week, who wants to jump ship from their permie role and is looking around. They've floated the idea of joining up and creating a "consultancy" style business.
          Initial plan is for them to grab a 3-6 month contract to a) see out restrictive covenants they have; b) give them something to do whilst we build up a pipeline of work.

I have a couple of contract opportunities that I'm working on that would fit them nicely, so they should be able to walk into something straight off.

Although I'm doing fine currently on my own, they look set to jump regardless and it would not do either of us much good to be competing for contract gigs in what is a pretty niche space for us.

I am interested in the joint consultancy gig also - gets me out of the comfy chair I've settled into over the last 18 months.

I've done a few other bits of work alongside my existing project. They have some decent leads. So there is definite opportunity for getting a decent stream of work, and not relying on typical 6 month+ contractor gigs, which is what I would do if I stay as-is.

So ... what's the options for setting this type or arrangement up in terms of Ltd ?
          1. I could close my Ltd down, and we could spin one up together 50/50 shareholding (well, 25% each if we include both our partners as shareholders).
          Assume I would not qualify for ER, if I'm spinning up another Ltd doing something similar ?

2. Each have out own Ltd, and our Ltds as the shareholders in a "billing" company ?

3. Them join my Ltd, but then it seems a mess as to what to do with the existing capital (i.e. it's mine !), and I believe there would be a cost of buying the shares, etc ??

4. Something else ...

I have been thinking along the same lines, the IR35 changes offer a real opportunity to grow a consultancy. Fixed price work is a must, do one of you know how to create work packages to bid for work and manage the risk over the life time of the project? If you can get the client to agree to a fixed price with a scope and decent requirements, there is nothing stopping you subbing that work out as you see fit to other ltd or employees.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Thanks for the replies (honest!).

I wasn't really asking if this business model could work, how would it work (I probably wouldn't look for a business mentor on here ) ... it was more around the formation of the Ltd(s) to start things off.
            Actually ... just realised I stuck it in the wrong forum and should have posted in Accounting (Mod: could it be moved please?)

I have done something similar(ish) before - started a VAR with another person, but slightly different situation in that we both left permie roles at the same time, spun up a Ltd as joint directors.

Quick fire Q&As:
            - What's the benefits of all this to you vs carrying on your own?
            A. Don't want the competition for contracting gigs in a niche market. If I stay solo, I will just stick to typical Mon-Fri 6 month+ gigs. I'm bored. I like taking risks. I had good working relationship with this guy - he's asked to do something together and I'm happy to re-create the old magic ! etc ...

- Body shopping contractors into opportunities is a business, but not unique and certainly not easy to scale.
            It's not quite what the plan is. Initially 2 (maybe 3) of us will share projects sourced from a number of providers.

- Google MSC legislation
            Very quick look, I don't think that's what we're looking at doing

- Just pay your guys a day rate based on timesheets.
            I won't have guys working for me/us, at least in the short-medium term. who knows where it will lead to, if it leads anywhere.

Comment

i know i'm new to the game....
              but isn't this the same topic contracts discuss when having a beer ?

Drink beer...
              get drunk...
              start up the bestest ever IT consultancy in the world...
              because we utterly rock and no one does IT like we does it.....

Wake up Monday and go back to our gigs like it was all a distant dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
                i know i'm new to the game....
                but isn't this the same topic contracts discuss when having a beer ?

Drink beer...
                get drunk...
                start up the bestest ever IT consultancy in the world...
                because we utterly rock and no one does IT like we does it.....

Wake up Monday and go back to our gigs like it was all a distant dream.
                yup.

Although mine usually start with a plan to provide a specific piece of work, that lots of clients want. Charge them a fixed price, run several in parallel, and use a pre-packaged set of tools, documents, processes... not just a load of bums on seats
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

No drinking involved (thankfully), well tea & a slice of cake.

For me, when an old colleague calls you up - someone you respect - and suggests working together, then I've got to listen and do some groundwork to work out if its feasible (which it is), and how we go about delivering.

Else, I'll just get competition for gigs and will be kicked out my comfy chair regardless.

YMMV

Comment

Working...
                  X