• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No notice option for contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simes View Post
    Friend, people do not buy Technical. They buy people.

Surely the ability has to be demonstrated but at the end of the day, People buy People.
    What on earth is that supposed to mean?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What on earth is that supposed to mean?
      It's a sales axiom - people buy from people they like. As in, people generally don't buy from the person they don't like, irrespective of his or her ability to deliver. They want a personal service.

Comment

Not sure why this is such a big deal.
        If I cannot ‘give notice of termination’ but for whatever reason need to stop working it’s simple. There is no mutuality of obligation for me to work so I don’t. Sure as tulip termination of the contract will follow very shortly.
        Not professional, but not a breach of contract either.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          Friend, people do not buy Technical. They buy people.

Surely the ability has to be demonstrated but at the end of the day, People buy People.
          If that were true why do people pay so much money to the big consultancies?
          £1000+ a day, with ROS, because the client expects a service.
          You’re thinking is very much about bum on seat resources, not B2B.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            If that were true why do people pay so much money to the big consultancies?
            £1000+ a day, with ROS, because the client expects a service.
            You’re thinking is very much about bum on seat resources, not B2B.
            I think you'll find that the A team of highly paid presales people who the big consultancies employ to win them the work are a significant factor. The client through relationship building trusts the big consultancy to deliver, and its the salespeople's job to make the prospect(s) at the client believe, as the face of the consultancy company, that they will deliver. It's still a people thing. Would you really sign a serious money contract with a company who you've never even spoken to anyone from?
            Last edited by man; 23 January 2019, 22:48. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Not sure why this is such a big deal.
              If I cannot ‘give notice of termination’ but for whatever reason need to stop working it’s simple. There is no mutuality of obligation for me to work so I don’t. Sure as tulip termination of the contract will follow very shortly.
              Not professional, but not a breach of contract either.
              How so? I'm struggling to think of any way of wording "I'm not coming in tomorrow" that wouldn't sound like a contract breach. Would you really just point at the MOO clause and not expect a possible sueball?

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
                How so? I'm struggling to think of any way of wording "I'm not coming in tomorrow" that wouldn't sound like a contract breach. Would you really just point at the MOO clause and not expect a possible sueball?
                If it’s in my contract then yes. That’s why I have a contract.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
                  . Would you really sign a serious money contract with a company who you've never even spoken to anyone from?
                  No. But that’s not ROS you’re describing.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If it’s in my contract then yes. That’s why I have a contract.
                    OK, so I've just grabbed the appropriate clause from a random contract I've previously signed, and redacted as appropriate - here's the MOO clause:
                    "X.X no party wishes to create or imply any mutuality of obligation between themselves either in the course of, or between any performance of, the Services or during any notice period; accordingly, neither <REDACTED> nor the Client is obliged to offer any work to the Consulting Company or the Consultant, nor is the Consulting Company or the Consultant obliged to provide services to <REDACTED> or the Client beyond the termination or expiry of this Agreement;"

So if you had no right of termination, you would send an email to the agent something like:

"Dear Agent,

Under the 'mutuality of obligation' clause X.X, MyCo will be not be providing any further Services as detailed in our contract (signed <DATE1>) to <REDACTED> or Client as of tomorrow <DATE2>.

Blah blah.

Yours sincerely,
                    man at MyCo"

Quite aside from the obvious stunned silence from all parties concerned and probable fun and games to get any monies owed, you would not be worried about any possible comeback from this? Serious question.

Comment

No. But that’s not ROS you’re describing.
                      Perhaps you've confused me with someone else? I didn't describe ROS. I was merely providing support to the view that people buy into other people rather than a faceless service, even at the serious £££ levels.

Comment

Working...
                      X