• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Request for substitution process

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for substitution process

A public sector client of mine that I have a part time engagement with have asked for me to provide information about my ‘substitution process’.

This is to include:
    1) How I would source the substitute
    2) Confirm they can work in the UK
    3) Pay them

Not been asked this before....

My intention was to reply with things along the line of

1) Utilise my extensive network of professionals that I have built up over years. Point out that I’ve had discussions with a number of other consultants around substitutions in the past and how we would potentially sub for each other (this is true).
    2) Seek appropriate legal / hr advice
    3) Given it would most likely be a contractor receive invoices from them and pay them via my limited or potentially put them on my payroll as a temp... (and pay appropriate employers NI etc).

Does that sound reasonable? Anyone got any thoughts / gotchas etc?

for point 2 you simply need to see a valid EU passport.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by marius123 View Post
      A public sector client of mine that I have a part time engagement with have asked for me to provide information about my ‘substitution process’.

This is to include:
      3) Pay them

1) Utilise my extensive network of professionals that I have built up over years. Point out that I’ve had discussions with a number of other consultants around substitutions in the past and how we would potentially sub for each other (this is true).
      3) Given it would most likely be a contractor receive invoices from them and pay them via my limited or potentially put them on my payroll as a temp... (and pay appropriate employers NI etc).

Well, to be honest, as a casual observer that reads to me as ..

1) Don't know
      2) Don't know
      3) Don't know

It wouldn't appear to me that you can get any of the those done at short notice should you suddenly require to send in a sub so next to useless as an approach anyone can sign off against let alone rely on.

I would expect a lot better than that to pass any kind of risk/diligence checks.
      Sorry.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For 1 it would be useful if you already have substitution agreements in place with others in the same industry. My ltd co has got a couple which we renew every two years. Might also come in handy when you're being investigated for IR35.

Comment

Yes, I suspect what I wrote there was weak. So, I’m trying not to put what I would put word for word here!

I have had discussions with people in a similar position and we have agreed to offer each other substitution work should we need to. There are no formal agreements in place but I’m happy that I could source someone within a few days (although it might cost me).

The eu passport thing seems a sensible easy choice

The people I’ve discussed this with properly are contractors so they would invoice my limited and I’d pay them.

Getting closer? I think I will look at some formal agreements for the future if someone can point me at what they’ve done...

Comment

Originally posted by marius123 View Post

This is to include:
            3) Pay them

There's only one reply needed here:

"It's none of your business"

Ask your client if they'll provide you with details of their directors remuneration process and see how far you get with that.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

Ask your client if they'll provide you with details of their directors remuneration process and see how far you get with that.
              They would probably direct the OP to page 92 of a report like this. https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/f...2017-18_v6.pdf

And then make a note that they are contracting with a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

As the client appears to be asking the OP to assist them with underpinning the outside IR35 determination, it would be a really stupid move to block that as they'll just declare OP inside.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  As the client appears to be asking the OP to assist them with underpinning the outside IR35 determination, it would be a really stupid move to block that as they'll just declare OP inside.
                  It's just BB being a pillock again.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1/ Initially from my trustworthy network of business partners, whose companies vary in size.

2/ On a business to business basis, paid-when-paid. I'd want both you as the client and me as the supplier to be happy with their work. Your payment indicates happiness.
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 17:18.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X