• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transferring SC CLearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring SC CLearance

Hi All,

I was granted SC clearance in 2016 for a government role. I left that post in Nov 2017 to a role which did not require SC clearance however have since been accepted for a public sector post which again requires SC clearance. Would it be possible to give the new employer the details of my job in 2016 and would it, as such, allow them to transfer the clearance?

I understand if you are in a role where you hold clearance it can be transferred, however I am unclear what my position is now that I am no longer in that post.

Thanks in advance!

I’m pretty sure if you don’t have a SC cleared role for one year then it expires.

So it looks like if you get this new role by November and get it transferred. Then you’ll be fine transferring it.

IIRC they always have the right to refuse. But wouldn’t let that effect your decision. .

Comment

Your clearance letter should confirm the dates and expiry criteria, but in general it lapses after 12 months of being in a roles that does not require it.

If you pass the details the clearance people at the new role before November they should be able to confirm it and request a transfer.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Brilliant thanks for the information

Comment

12m contract with MoD lost because of old employer cancelling clearance application

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Your clearance letter should confirm the dates and expiry criteria, but in general it lapses after 12 months of being in a roles that does not require it.

If you pass the details the clearance people at the new role before November they should be able to confirm it and request a transfer.
          I just had a very bad experience, where I had been awarded a 12month contract to for the MoD in a technical role, I filled in the SC transfer application form for the new employer (BMT, part of the Aurora framework) and contacted UKSV about my (ongoing) application.
          The old employer, Thales, cancelled the application (today) because I no longer work for them! It has caused my to lose the contract which would pay £500/day for 12m
          Thinking of suing Thales, if there's anyway I can show that they're liable?

Comment

Originally posted by PVperson View Post
            12m contract with MoD lost because of old employer cancelling clearance application

I just had a very bad experience, where I had been awarded a 12month contract to for the MoD in a technical role, I filled in the SC transfer application form for the new employer (BMT, part of the Aurora framework) and contacted UKSV about my (ongoing) application.
            The old employer, Thales, cancelled the application (today) because I no longer work for them! It has caused my to lose the contract which would pay £500/day for 12m
            Not a chance. To sue for losses you generally have to prove losses, not coulda wudda shudda. As you technically never started you didn't earn anything to lose. They could argue you could have been walked on the first day so can't be liable. There might be a perfectly justifiable reason they've done it and you've wasted your time and money as well. No point claiming on a what if scenario.

Slighty irrelevant point bearing in mind the above, you could only look at the money over the period you weren't working. If you start another gig you've got money so it would only be for the period you didn't have income so furthe reduces the point of doing it if there was one at all.

Nuances to the above but you get the point
            Last edited by northernladuk; 22 September 2022, 15:37.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PVperson View Post

I had similar. A certaing government department "lost" my clearance. Found it eventually but it caused a 2 month delay to start date.

Alas, as I found out, no chance of any compo I'm afraid!
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X