• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here's some hoops we'd like you to jump through

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some hoops we'd like you to jump through

What's going on with these companies who expect contractors to go through multiple stages of interview and presentations to supposedly fill short term roles?

Yesterday I interviewed by video link for a gig lasting up to 3 months to be told today that the next stage will require a hugely detailed task that IMO will take a full day to complete to a high standard. This must be done by Tuesday (today is Friday) and if successful I will get to present it to senior stakeholders. The presentation should last one hour and there is no guarantee that further stages won't be needed.

Thanks for the opportunity. I'm out !!!

Originally posted by ckms View Post
    What's going on with these companies who expect contractors to go through multiple stages of interview and presentations to supposedly fill short term roles?

Yesterday I interviewed by video link for a gig lasting up to 3 months to be told today that the next stage will require a hugely detailed task that IMO will take a full day to complete to a high standard. This must be done by Tuesday (today is Friday) and if successful I will get to present it to senior stakeholders. The presentation should last one hour and there is no guarantee that further stages won't be needed.

Thanks for the opportunity. I'm out !!!
    We've got a problem and need ideas on how to fix it but we don't want to pay anyone for it. I know let's make it part of the "hiring process" for a non-existent gig!
    Last edited by DaveB; 15 September 2018, 08:44.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

They ALL have unrealistic expectations nowadays let them eat cake!

I recently had a few interviews for a contract to perm role & at the time I did not know the entire purpose (from the end client perspective) behind the interviews was to force the existing contractor to understand they was going to be replaced if they did not convert the contract into a perm role!
      Last edited by uk contractor; 14 September 2018, 19:31.

Comment

It would be tempting to present a solution that on face value looks ok but in reality would not work* so once the client was committed they'd have to extend the contract to make the solution deliver what was required. Sort of what consultancies do by selling whatever the client wants knowing it will cost them way more in time and money when getting down to the finer details.

* Maybe have some seemingly simple parts of the solution detailed as only a black box in the presentation that subsequently turns out to be way more complicated.

Depends what the contract is and relatively how high value it is to other similar ones available. The higher the threshold the more effort I may put in to secure it, otherwise let some other mugs play the client's game.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

do the presentation in such a way that it shows how you'd approach the problem, and detail similar work you've done for other clients. But refuse to tell them how their problem should be done as you don't know enough detail about their company yet.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

1 page presentation and talk through your solution at a high level, so if they truly do need a contractor then they will progress you to the next level.

I have seen this a few times now, multistage interviews are for perm staff, not contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by WLB2018 View Post
              1 page presentation and talk through your solution at a high level, so if they truly do need a contractor then they will progress you to the next level.

I have seen this a few times now, multistage interviews are for perm staff, not contractors.
              They are asking for a 1 hour presentation... realistically a full days work. I called the agent and told her, thanks for the opportunity but I won't be investing my time in this. I'm out!

Comment

Originally posted by ckms View Post
                They are asking for a 1 hour presentation... realistically a full days work. I called the agent and told her, thanks for the opportunity but I won't be investing my time in this. I'm out!
                Quote them for a day's work.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  We've got a problem and need ideas on how to fix it but we don't want to pay anyone for it. I know let's make it part of the "hiring process" for a non-existent gig!
                  WHS... walk away

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Quote them for a day's work.
                    I don't see that as an unreasonable ask. If they want you to invest in what is effectively a bid, then you ought to be able to recoup reasonable costs.

Trouble is, there's always someone (especially if they've been benched for a while) who will jump through these hoops and more.

Comment

Working...
                    X