• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sites for renting to IT Contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sites for renting to IT Contractors?

Hi

I am considering renting a buy to let property to IT Contractors. Years ago it used to be quite common for IT Contractors working away from home to want to rent a room/flat/house. A contractor generally knows that they will be there for 6-12 months, and renting is generally cheaper and more comfortable than a hotel. However, all the sites I seem to find relate to Contractor Mortgages. Are there any good sites aimed at Contractors who want to rent? Is there a reason why there doesn't seem to be much demand for this anymore?

Regards

Paul Simon

As a landlord I wouldn't narrow my market down like that. I want people in paying the rent, not have it empty waiting for the odd contractor. It's too niche. Discussion about it recently here.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/showthread.php?t=128870
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the link. It was useful, especially the Mon-Fri one. I have already been renting the property for several years, so I am aware of the issues of voids, etc. However, the property has always been rented within a week of being on the market, so I wanted to be a bit more choosy about who I rent it to. I was just wondering if there were any sites specific to IT contractors, but it seems not.

Regards

Paul

Comment

Spare room, one believes, has this kind of thing covered. And as that Northerner says, who wants to restrict their market like that? You'd probably want to be offering all bills inclusive and be doing it on a weekly or monthly basis. 6 to 12 months is fanciful - nobody with any sense would sign up for a term like that.

Comment

All bills included. No council tax to pay. Broadband provided. VAT invoices. Monday to Friday invoices. Ability to terminate with short notice (next week basically).
          If you do all those then contractors might well be interested.

How much extra would you have to charge to do that and is that figure competitive with a basic hotel?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If you do go down the all bills included etc check out https://www.studios2let.com/. They just advertised their own I think, but you could do the same. Depends how hands on you want to be. Alternatively, have a look on Gumtree for short term lets and see where they link through to.

Comment

Working...
            X