• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Metro, then Atom, and now... :86 400

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Metro, then Atom, and now... :86 400

Hi fellow contractors,

I haven't been here for a good long while because I've been busy doing banking in Sydney. I'm now coming up to my first year as a perm in a fintech startup called 86 400 ("eighty six four hundred"). Our chairman is none other than Anthony Thompson, founder of Metro and Atom in the UK.

www.86400.com.au (top points to whoever can work out the meaning of our name before looking at the website).

I'm back on here because despite being perm I'm picking up all the latest tech as a (SAFe agile) Scrum Master (Rest API's, NodeJs, AWS, Streambase, Kafka, GraphDB, Cassandra, Open Banking, Swagger, CI/CD, Postman, etc etc) as well as all the agile stuff (JIRA, Confluence, Scenarios etc etc).

And the age-old quest to return to contracting in London has come to mind again ( I contracted in the City from 1995-2001 and have a UK passport). So I've been reading threads about state of the market and the state of London and I was just wondering if anyone wants to throw in some advice - should I stay or should I go now? I have a possible opportunity of some cheap/free accommodation in London (house-sitting) but my ideal time would be next UK Summer, but then Brexit might have killed the contractor market.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Some sort of sheep dipping site ?

Ohh another new bank, that’s only the 3000th this year

I would stay put, London is deed because if brexit

Comment

They take a day off in a leap year.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There are 86,400 seconds in a day.
        As every DNS administrator can tell you.

No. Don't bother till we know what Brexit means (HINT: It's probably not what many people voted for)

EDIT: I was right about the number of seconds but not the horrid cringeworthy "puts you first, every second of every day". Yuk. Alan Partridge could do better.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Atom - Durham

It will be interesting to see if one of the challenger banks actually breaks through and makes headway against the big four. Atom are recruiting at the moment, I had a chat with them last week about a role, but they are Durham based so doesn't help you with London. But with your skillset it may be a good way back into UK contracting and Durham is a nice part of the world.
          "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Working...
          X